Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: USB 3 still not ubiquitous

Thanks

USB 3 still not ubiquitous

I've just been thinking ... after doing some hardware window-shopping

Why do you still get USB2 ports on laptops and PC's? Apparently USB3 (and from my own experience) can handle any USB2 / USB1 device. It used to have some incompatibility issues, but that's been sorted out since 2012.

But still you find PC's/Laptops/NAS/routers/etc. with mostly usb2 and one or 2 usb3's tucked in the back. Usually I'm p'ed off when the front ports are all USB2 and when I want to plug in my USB3 disc and get anywhere near decent speed I have to rubber-neck it around the back! This makes no sense cost-wise. The USB2 ports need their own controller and the USB3 needs yet another. So why do manufacturers place 2 chips onto the motherboard instead on the one which can handle it all? Can't they just axe the USB2 controller already? And if they've got some "stupid" reason for keeping it, what's the difference in the same reason as to why there's no more USB1 / 1.1 ports?

Sorry for asking it here, but google gave me next to no pertinent answers.
    Gold is the money of kings; silver is the money of gentlemen; barter is the money of peasants; but debt is the money of slaves. - Norm Franz
    And central banks are the slave clearing houses

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by irneb View Post
    I've just been thinking ... after doing some hardware window-shopping

Why do you still get USB2 ports on laptops and PC's? Apparently USB3 (and from my own experience) can handle any USB2 / USB1 device. It used to have some incompatibility issues, but that's been sorted out since 2012.

But still you find PC's/Laptops/NAS/routers/etc. with mostly usb2 and one or 2 usb3's tucked in the back. Usually I'm p'ed off when the front ports are all USB2 and when I want to plug in my USB3 disc and get anywhere near decent speed I have to rubber-neck it around the back! This makes no sense cost-wise. The USB2 ports need their own controller and the USB3 needs yet another. So why do manufacturers place 2 chips onto the motherboard instead on the one which can handle it all? Can't they just axe the USB2 controller already? And if they've got some "stupid" reason for keeping it, what's the difference in the same reason as to why there's no more USB1 / 1.1 ports?

Sorry for asking it here, but google gave me next to no pertinent answers.
    The problem is heat in most cases. USB 3 runs really hot on notebooks but even that doesn't fully explain it. I suspect that they have bunch of old parts and is using until they run out then only will we get USB 3 only.
    peace is a state of mind
    Disclaimer: everything written by me can be considered as fictional.

Diamond Member
    Thanks
    Simple, so that you will buy a new PC next year. I hane USB3 active hub and my external drive refuses point blank to work with it, let alone step down to USB2.

Planned obsolescence my friend, that is the name of the game....

4. Thanks given for this post:

irneb (26-Jan-14)

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by adrianh View Post
    Simple, so that you will buy a new PC next year. I hane USB3 active hub and my external drive refuses point blank to work with it, let alone step down to USB2.

Planned obsolescence my friend, that is the name of the game....
    Well if you use a USB3 hub with USB2 host it will work "sometimes" but for the most part it will not because the USB3 hub was build for USB3 devices...
    peace is a state of mind

Thanks
    There's two types of USB 3 plugs. One of them is compatible with the older USB2 sockets the other isn't. If your USB3 device will physically fit into the older USB2 socket then it should work every time at USB2 speeds.

Not sure why more PC's and laptops don't support USB3, probably because we're living in a dumping ground for end of run and previous generation products.

7. Thank given for this post:

irneb (26-Jan-14), tec0 (26-Jan-14)

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyD View Post
    There's two types of USB 3 plugs. One of them is compatible with the older USB2 sockets the other isn't. If your USB3 device will physically fit into the older USB2 socket then it should work every time at USB2 speeds.

Not sure why more PC's and laptops don't support USB3, probably because we're living in a dumping ground for end of run and previous generation products.
    I think it comes down to power. My AMD has USB3 and it runs as hot as hell. Now I am using water cooling for the core and have enough fans in it to scare a wind-tunnel but the USB3 still runs very hot regardless. I have a feeling that the power demand is really high and that some notebooks can't cope with both the power and heat. I know your newer notebooks solved this with small heat-pipes so it is less of of a problem now.
    peace is a state of mind

Diamond Member
    Thanks
    I'm with Andy, we're simply a dumping ground for older technology.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by adrianh View Post
    I'm with Andy, we're simply a dumping ground for older technology.
    That is the choice our importers make not the choice of the companies... Simple truth they can just as easy say no to older tech. Truth is the profit margin his higher.
    peace is a state of mind

Thanks
    Thanks all, you make good points - especially the selling of obsolescence. The heat issue might be something specific to only some controllers, I've never had it in mine and I use USB3 nearly exclusively, and also extensively (external data-disc with 200MB to 2GB Revit files constantly read/write when working for hours on end). Perhaps it's AMD which use high temp controllers, I'm using i7 in both my home PC and laptop and a Xeon at the office - so all probably Intel controllers as well (though I don't know this for sure).

As for SA being the discontinued dumping ground: I'm not sure that's the case, not for USB anyway - you might have a point in general though. I was answering a question yesterday on another forum about one of the programs I use 90% of my day, searching for a decent laptop. Even the international web sites were advertising "new" stuff with both 2 & 3 ports. So it seems even overseas they're still installing the 15+ year old ports.
    Gold is the money of kings; silver is the money of gentlemen; barter is the money of peasants; but debt is the money of slaves. - Norm Franz
    And central banks are the slave clearing houses

12. Thanks given for this post:

tec0 (26-Jan-14)

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by irneb View Post
    Thanks all, you make good points - especially the selling of obsolescence. The heat issue might be something specific to only some controllers, I've never had it in mine and I use USB3 nearly exclusively, and also extensively (external data-disc with 200MB to 2GB Revit files constantly read/write when working for hours on end). Perhaps it's AMD which use high temp controllers, I'm using i7 in both my home PC and laptop and a Xeon at the office - so all probably Intel controllers as well (though I don't know this for sure).

As for SA being the discontinued dumping ground: I'm not sure that's the case, not for USB anyway - you might have a point in general though. I was answering a question yesterday on another forum about one of the programs I use 90% of my day, searching for a decent laptop. Even the international web sites were advertising "new" stuff with both 2 & 3 ports. So it seems even overseas they're still installing the 15+ year old ports.
    Your i5 desktop also have the problem but you can solve it with a USB3 PCI expansion card. Same if true for the AMD desktop. I think it might be "Elcheapo" vs High quality here I don't think it is AMD only problem or a Intel problem I think it has everything to do with High end VS low end.
    peace is a state of mind

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Did you like this article? Share it with your favourite social network.

Did you like this article? Share it with your favourite social network.