Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Biltong Machine

Diamond Member
    Thanks
    I found a lot of info on how to make plastic box dryers

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ians View Post
    All this talk of biltong got me thinking, so I am busy making a biltong machine.

I have spoken to a few of the "experts" well people who already make their own biltong. One person indicated that he only uses a fan to extract moisture but no lamp, others have indicated that they don't use a fan but rather use the light to generate heat which in turn pulls in air and releases it out a vent at the top.

So do I need a light and fan or both?

What I have done with my experimental unit...I have 3 x lampholders each with a 15 watt lamp (which can be upgraded to 40 - 60 - or 100 watt) and 4 switches one for each lampholder and 1 for the fan, so I have choices.

what is the secret to the best biltong a little heat and a lot of airflow or a little heat and little airflow or just airflow?

Another question...do you think it would make a difference if the dryer is made of wood or glass or metal. With some things it just taste better with a specific property like the difference between a gas braai and a good old wood braai.

I have absolutely no idea about biltong dryers so any advice is good.
    Sometimes I use my lights. I prefer just the fan and won’t put any lights on. Lights/heat seems to kill the favour of the outer layer a bit and it can dry out smaller pieces quickly if you neglect it too long (having both light+fan).

Fan only dried biltong produces a better product, in my opinion. So I prefer little or no heat with strong airflow for normal cut.

If I want to make some chilli bites real quick I put both fans on and both lights 60w ..within a 30 hours Its done. (48h the way I prefer chilly bites, no light).

I think pretty much any material should work, no real preference there other than perhaps aesthetic. The box should preferably be as large as possible. The size of the box, fan and the strength and proximity of the light will influence what should be on or not depending on what you making (season). It’s a good idea to have as many settings/options as possible.

Mine is from wood so I gave it a double coat inside. Make sure it’s not noisy, if you use microwave fans like me then have a whole bunch and test them first. The floor and machine must be easily cleaned. I also put in a tin foil “dish” for the first few hours.

Keep closed and/or locked to protect the contents from the family pet and your children
    It is not the strongest of the species that survive, nor the most intelligent, but the one most responsive to change. – Charles Darwin

Thanks
    Ian - what type/size fan you using?
    Last edited by pmbguy; 16-Jan-14 at 11:48 AM. Reason: Both Ian's
    It is not the strongest of the species that survive, nor the most intelligent, but the one most responsive to change. – Charles Darwin

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by pmbguy View Post
    Ian - what type/size fan you using?
    It is a computer box fan that came with the Mellerware box and there is no transformer so it runs straight from a plug.
    Only stress when you can change the outcome!

Diamond Member
    Thanks
    The dryer made of pine is 600 high x 400 x 400..with a 120 mm 230 volt panel fan sucking the air.

I hear a good constant temp of 23 degrees is good, will fit a temp probe and record the temp (joys of having all the toys) to see what happens.

Something I learnt from a job I did in Hillcrest. I had a problem where the customers got a lung infection which almost killed him from the mould under the wooden floors. All the floors where removed sanded, sealed and replaced. I was asked to fit an extractor fan under the house to prevent the wood from getting mouldy again. When I approached the fan guy to buy the extractor I explained to him what I needed it for and he told me I was wasting my time. He indicated that if you extract the air from such a big area with holes all over it wouldn't achieve the same results as I would by turning the fan around and blowing the air into the cavities under the house and rather expelling the air through all the vents/holes.

I don't think we have the same issue here with such a small enclosure, but I thought it might be an option to blow into the enclosure rather than extract, your thoughts?

Thanks
    @IanF - My friend has one very similar to you and he makes good biltong. Your machine works by ventilating warm air around the biltong, the heat being important. In my machine I have microwave fans that blow hard, the pieces sway and turn. I can probably get away with just the fans, but I usually put a light on in the summer. If I happened to have had smaller fans I would probably use my lights/heat all the time. The nice thing about your machine is that it works out the box and the wife won’t mind having it in the house.

@IanS – What size box do you have in mind and what type fan have you got? Wood is good, easy to construct and modify to fit components. You can even make a piece of nice functional furniture, if so inclined. My first one was just plywood no paint just function. It worked just as well as the one I have now.

Thanks
    My son brought me biltong from Wolmaranstad some time ago. Boy, was it good! Apparently the lady is doing it for years already and people in the know does not pass Wollies without buying some biltong. My butcher tells me she is using massive blowers and sells tons per month. I do not know the secret, but if I must guess, I would say she is using beef fillets, as is. The biltong is then cut into very thin slices, they are round and the size of R5 or bigger coins, not with an electric slicer or grader. The outside is dry and the middle pink. I just looove it! Wish I could mail order...
    ~Expenses will eat you alive! - My first Boss~

Thanks
    I think if you extract you definitely need the heat. When you use stronger fans to blow the biltong heat is not really needed as much.

Thanks
    I would not blow on the bitong with a small fan. A small fan will only work for extraction in conjunction with heat.

Thanks
    If the cabinet is heated it would be better to have a fan configured so it mostly circulating the internal air whilst causing a slight through-draught that's constantly pulling a little fresh air inside as well.

Do these cabinets have a filter to clean the air before it comes into the cabinet? Does the meat ever go vrot whilst it's drying?

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast