Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Selling on the N1

Thanks

Selling on the N1

Quick question. What are the laws around selling items on the N1?

If you had a guy with a motorcycle selling cool drink on the move. Driving slow and just selling refreshments while people are stuck in traffic, would that be breaking the law in any way?

Diamond Member
    Thanks
    Yes I think so, as far as I know it is illegal to sell at robots...but it's one of those things like swatting flies...you simple cannot stop them from doing it. I saw the metro cops stop and walk towards the guys selling at the corner of Vanguard and Frans Conradie (at the entrance to Wingfield on the way to Grand West) Man, I just saw dustbin bags and all sorts of junk fly and people scatter in all directions. When the cops left they all came sauntering back and carried on as before.

3. Thanks given for this post:

iLLuDeano (13-Dec-13)

Thanks
    In PMB there are robot vendors selling hats, they have this selling ploy where they will stand by the window and tell you the hat is R30, then when you say no the vendor will chuck it on your lap and say “its free sir” usually the driver, stoked with his luck, tries on his new free hat, its then that the vendor says “please sir please give me a donation”. If you try and give the hat back he won’t take it back, he will insist on the donation. I have seen it work, where the driver actually gives in and pays the “donation”. If you refuse to give the “donation” and the robot turns green the vendor will quickly reach inside and grab the hat, this happened to me.

I still want my free hat. Next time I will try the hat on and say thank you.... and play for time until the robot turns, then I will chuck the hat on the floor and drive off.. Ha Ha!
    It is not the strongest of the species that survive, nor the most intelligent, but the one most responsive to change. – Charles Darwin

Thanks
    That happened to me once after I said I have no money... So I thought I'd teach him a life lesson. I took the sunglasses, rolled up my window and drove home.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    It happened to me too, I was so impressed with the sales pitch, I made a donation of R50 for the R30 hat.

What I find strange though is that at traffic lights normally there are blacks selling items, and whites begging. Complain as much as we want about B.B.E but it does not help all blacks, these people are empowering themselves too, by hook or by crook.

Diamond Member
    Thanks
    @vieome - spot on...I've often wondered about that. I have ways try to talk a bit of crap with them. There is a guy who always stands at the same corner. He's quite small and has no teeth. He's one of those guys that try to make some money by taking the rubbish from people's cars. I always call him "rubbish" and he calls me "Meneer" He's told me about his kids, his TB and all sorts. I always try to give him something. There was a guy selling dustbin bags by him one day so I asked the guy why he was selling elephant condoms in town and anyway those black elephant condoms are far too small for me. It's nice to see them laugh even though life is really tough!

Thanks
    Agreed, some people at least try! But if you are going to stand their with a little help sign, (FUCK that pisses me off) If you can stand with 2 legs, 2 arms, you can work!! There is a guy in town with no legs, and he also takes trash from people. I mean really, he has no legs and still doesn't beg for anything. If I see him I give him a cool drink or my lunch. Or a R10 if i don't have those items. And he inspires me to work for what i want!

Diamond Member
    Thanks
    Then of course there are the ones wwho attack your windscreen with a dirty rag and a squeegee..

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by adrianh View Post
    Then of course there are the ones wwho attack your windscreen with a dirty rag and a squeegee..
    Makes me cringe :|

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by pmbguy View Post
    In PMB there are robot vendors selling hats, they have this selling ploy where they will stand by the window and tell you the hat is R30, then when you say no the vendor will chuck it on your lap and say “its free sir” usually the driver, stoked with his luck, tries on his new free hat, its then that the vendor says “please sir please give me a donation”.
    A few years ago this type of marketing was perfected by guys with small flowers made of wire and brightly coloured beads. They'd have hundreds of these things on a styrofoam tray and they just went to cars and handed one to the driver. There was no charge for the flower as such if the person didn't want to pay otherwise they'd take a 'donation' if the driver was willing to part with money. Obviously there's always some who won't pay but their unit price on the flowers was next to nothing so no great loss but those who 'donated' were usually particularly generous and I'd often see a 20 or 50 Rand note getting dished out. It always struck me that whoever pioneered this model really had taken robot marketing to the next level.

I've got to be honest and say however that selling cooldrinks to motorists on a national motorway from a motorcycle sounds risky at best, there'd be a lot of technical difficulties that would need ironing out and it would be illegal. Also the motorbike would be traceble via the license plate so unlike other nformal traders they wouldn't be able to pack up and run so easily

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast