Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 20

Thread: Living in a warehouse

  1. #1
    Silver Member league_of_ordinary_men's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Cape Town
    Posts
    428
    Thanks
    13
    Thanked 39 Times in 35 Posts

    Living in a warehouse

    Okay so I was searching for something and I found old warehouses they turned into a house http://iispaces.com/2012/11/10/new-vision-of-the-loft/ that's just one of the warehouses, check them out I like the I idea although our warehouses in South Africa is not quit the same design. But what do you guys think, would you live in a warehouse like that? it would make one killer home office.

  2. #2
    Gold Member Dave S's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Randburg
    Posts
    733
    Thanks
    39
    Thanked 116 Times in 90 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by league_of_ordinary_men View Post
    Okay so I was searching for something and I found old warehouses they turned into a house http://iispaces.com/2012/11/10/new-vision-of-the-loft/ that's just one of the warehouses, check them out I like the I idea although our warehouses in South Africa is not quit the same design. But what do you guys think, would you live in a warehouse like that? it would make one killer home office.
    Just running ahead here, would it not cost more to convert such a building than to rather build from scratch? Building regs for Warehouses are very different to the regs for Residential use?
    Today Defines Tomorrow
    Errare Humanum Est Remitto Divinus

  3. #3
    Platinum Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    KZN
    Posts
    1,587
    Thanks
    76
    Thanked 138 Times in 118 Posts
    Dave has a point and considering the country we live it, just imagine how it would spoil the whole look with barb wire and burglar bars, security gates etc, that's looking at it from one angle.

    The more positive angle would be, if it was a loft room at the top of a building, it could work.

    I think it is a brilliant idea. I could definitely live with an office like that.

  4. #4
    Silver Member league_of_ordinary_men's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Cape Town
    Posts
    428
    Thanks
    13
    Thanked 39 Times in 35 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave S View Post
    Just running ahead here, would it not cost more to convert such a building than to rather build from scratch? Building regs for Warehouses are very different to the regs for Residential use?
    Not sure what the costs would be but if you don't want to pay house rent and office rent I think it could be a good idea, not sure on the regulations will need to search.

    Quote Originally Posted by ians View Post
    Dave has a point and considering the country we live it, just imagine how it would spoil the whole look with barb wire and burglar bars, security gates etc, that's looking at it from one angle.

    The more positive angle would be, if it was a loft room at the top of a building, it could work.

    I think it is a brilliant idea. I could definitely live with an office like that.
    Yeah but just think, get yourself a mass warehouse and build your own oasis,hehehe. There a few pro's and con's like,
    Con's : No neighbors
    Pro's : No neighbors

  5. #5
    Gold Member Dave S's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Randburg
    Posts
    733
    Thanks
    39
    Thanked 116 Times in 90 Posts
    Have you ever watched the program, "Grand Designs"? It's a British documentary about building in UK. There have been a few episodes where people have converted old barns and warehouses, but the money numbers are staggering and in some cases were double the cost of a new creation. Of course we can't make a comparison between SA and UK, building in UK is just astronomically expensive, but surely the same general rules apply?

    Some of the conversions are magnificent, but I can't help thinking that I would rather custom design than convert, if I had the money, of course. But that's just me.
    Today Defines Tomorrow
    Errare Humanum Est Remitto Divinus

  6. #6
    Diamond Member wynn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    east london
    Posts
    3,338
    Thanks
    548
    Thanked 624 Times in 523 Posts
    Sort of turns the notion of working from home on it's head, "Now you can home from work"
    "Nobody who has succeeded has not failed along the way"
    Arianna Huffington

    Read the first 10% of my books "Didymus" and "The BEAST of BIKO BRIDGE" for free
    You can also read and download 100% free my short stories "A Real Surprise" and "Pieces of Eight" at
    http://www.smashwords.com/books/view/332256

  7. #7
    Platinum Member pmbguy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    PMB
    Posts
    2,094
    Thanks
    310
    Thanked 254 Times in 230 Posts
    I like that Wynn "Home from work"

    The one aspect that may prove troublesome when converting a warehouse into your home is that you will be in a bad or industrial area. So your house would be amazing, but you got to have strong-room doors to keep out the zombies
    It is not the strongest of the species that survive, nor the most intelligent, but the one most responsive to change. Charles Darwin

  8. #8
    Silver Member league_of_ordinary_men's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Cape Town
    Posts
    428
    Thanks
    13
    Thanked 39 Times in 35 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pmbguy View Post
    I like that Wynn "Home from work"

    The one aspect that may prove troublesome when converting a warehouse into your home is that you will be in a bad or industrial area. So your house would be amazing, but you got to have strong-room doors to keep out the zombies
    Been watching a little too much walking dead pmb? hahahaha

  9. #9
    Platinum Member pmbguy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    PMB
    Posts
    2,094
    Thanks
    310
    Thanked 254 Times in 230 Posts
    “World War Z” was the most recent cognisant influence
    It is not the strongest of the species that survive, nor the most intelligent, but the one most responsive to change. Charles Darwin

  10. #10
    Silver Member league_of_ordinary_men's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Cape Town
    Posts
    428
    Thanks
    13
    Thanked 39 Times in 35 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pmbguy View Post
    “World War Z” was the most recent cognisant influence
    That was a good movie,watched elysium last night and it was great when he sang Jan-piere-wiet,hahaha

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. cost of living
    By murdock in forum General Chat Forum
    Replies: 39
    Last Post: 03-Dec-15, 11:54 AM
  2. How much would it cost to get a small warehouse built in Georgia?
    By smitshah123321 in forum General Chat Forum
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 14-Mar-13, 01:11 PM
  3. Where is a bull brand plant or warehouse?
    By Dolly in forum Food Industry Forum
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 02-Dec-11, 05:44 PM

Did you like this article? Share it with your favourite social network.

Did you like this article? Share it with your favourite social network.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •