Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Energy Crisis and Daylight saving time!

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by adrianh View Post
    tec0 - you have it by the ar$e hairs of a donkey. Leap seconds are not added because the earth spins faster and faster all the time. Leap seconds are sometimes added because the rotational rate of the earth varies and because our measure of time does not fit perfectly into the rotational rate of the earth. The earth does not rotate through 360 degrees in exactly 24 hours (or 86400 seconds) the rate is every so slightly off at 86400.001798 seconds or 864.0003987 seconds or whatever. This means that they need to compensate for the error in our coarse measurement of time (seconds) by adding a second every now and again because our clocks become out of sync with the exact GMT position of the earth. A second is simply a convenient measure of time because it is very close to the rotational rate of the earth. The only reason atomic clocks were introduced is to ensure that various countries have the same measure that is considered to be one second. Do you realize that atomic clocks also drift and have to be calibrated to one another every so often. Those clocks are affected by all sorts of things like gravity, solar flares, etc.
    Quite right Adrian, the earth's rotation is never constant, in fact, it's rotation speeds up and slows down and any clock, atomic or otherwise, will be out of sync with another by as much as 0.09836363636... seconds at any particular time. Scientists have found that when certain cities "spin" past (in line with) the sun, the rotation speeds up and vice versa when these cities are opposite the sun the rotation speed slows down. It's a phenomenon know as "Axis Displacement", when building materials are taken from, say, China and used to build a massive structure in, say, USA, the balance of earth's surface has been changed, this causes a "wobble" on the rotational axis and this causes the speeding-up and slowing-down in rotation. Axis Displacement can effect the time by about 0.098363636363... seconds. It isn't a proven theory though, (yet).
    Today Defines Tomorrow
    Errare Humanum Est Remitto Divinus

Diamond Member
    Thanks
    It is also said that tides and eath quakes affect the spin rate.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Funny thing is I took those explanations directly out of a scientific study that was done in 2008 this time I know the info was nearest to what I could find in layman terms. So yea... if you are going to correct someone just make sure they are wrong first hey...

That said it doesn’t really matter time is relative and until we can control time it’s not going to matter much. All I am saying is a 25 hour day will not happen in my lifetime as in “25 hours in a day” but working 18 hours or even 20 hours is a norm for most of us so really what is the big deal?
    peace is a state of mind
    Disclaimer: everything written by me can be considered as fictional.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by tec0 View Post
    Funny thing is I took those explanations directly out of a scientific study that was done in 2008 this time I know the info was nearest to what I could find in layman terms. So yea... if you are going to correct someone just make sure they are wrong first hey...
    Tec0, don't always go "on the defensive", you are quite right that science predicts the lengthening of the "hours in a day", and a 25-hour day is possible in about 10 to 30 Million years time, but this does consider that all things current remain consistent, however, we all know that consistency is not in nature's vocabulary.

In fact, planning and thinking more than 20-years ahead, may lead to some miscalculations, given our current political climate...
    Today Defines Tomorrow

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave S View Post
    Tec0, don't always go "on the defensive", you are quite right that science predicts the lengthening of the "hours in a day", and a 25-hour day is possible in about 10 to 30 Million years time, but this does consider that all things current remain consistent, however, we all know that consistency is not in nature's vocabulary.

In fact, planning and thinking more than 20-years ahead, may lead to some miscalculations, given our current political climate...
    Lately I had no choice, I am sure you saw the other threads and the epic disasters there. I don’t mind being corrected at all but if anything I am not being corrected rather chewed out thus I lost my cool a while ago. Adapting I started using vulgar terminology and just became overly sensitive to any bad language accepting it as an attack outright.

But I will reframe from going on the defensive here as I am rather hoping to avoid another epic 10 pages of being told that I am too stupid to breath.
    peace is a state of mind
    Disclaimer: everything written by me can be considered as fictional.

Suspended
    Thanks
    Also the power load at the factory remains the same
    One of the reasons for daylight saving is EXACTLY what it says - Daylight saving ! - That means you have more productive hours in a day with daylight - that means less load on the power plants.

Lately I had no choice, I am sure you saw the other threads and the epic disasters there
    Please don't even start tec. Grow up and contribute to a conversation and LISTEN to what other people have to say as well.

Diamond Member
    Thanks
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	quotes_about_life_04.jpg 
Views:	184 
Size:	74.1 KB 
ID:	4209

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by HR Solutions View Post
    One of the reasons for daylight saving is EXACTLY what it says - Daylight saving ! - That means you have more productive hours in a day with daylight - that means less load on the power plants.
    I'm not so sure, I hear what Tec0 is saying, I started out on the mines and they run at 24/7/365 so there would be no difference between daytime/night-time usage anyway. Also consider that in any 24-hour period the power usage would be the same as all that daylight saving is doing is moving start and end times 1-hour either way.

Personally, I would like daylight savings, simply because I start work at 5:30 but my suppliers only start at 7:30, with savings I could still start at 5:30 and my suppliers could start at 6:30, then if I needed something I could get it an hour earlier...
    Today Defines Tomorrow

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by adrianh View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	quotes_about_life_04.jpg 
Views:	184 
Size:	74.1 KB 
ID:	4209
    Oh Adrian, I'm offended by that...
    Today Defines Tomorrow

Diamond Member
    Thanks
    I take offence to your defence of your feeling offended by my defensive argument against those who feel offended by my poster which defends the right to offend!

11. Thanks given for this post:

Dave A (06-Dec-13)

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast