Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Energy Crisis and Daylight saving time!

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by wynn View Post
    'Well you see, the reason is, because, why? it means I have to wake up an hour earlier and get to work an hour earlier, why you do this?
    And the cANCer will reply, "It's an Apartheid thing, we have no control..."
    Today Defines Tomorrow
    Errare Humanum Est Remitto Divinus

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    I take it you never worked 12 hour shifts before? You get up at about 5:00am or 5:00pm depending if you are on dayshift or nightshift. You have to be at work at round about 6:00am or 6:00pm depending on the shift. So I really don’t see how daylight savings will have any impact whatsoever when it comes to shifts.

I say this because you will have to put in 12 hours of work regardless.
    peace is a state of mind
    Disclaimer: everything written by me can be considered as fictional.

Diamond Member
    Thanks
    So tec0, will the days then be 25 hours long?

We want the wekkas to work more hours because they get more sunlight.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by adrianh View Post
    So tec0, will the days then be 25 hours long?

We want the wekkas to work more hours because they get more sunlight.
    Where we use to work 14 hour shift was not uncommon. As for your 25 hour day it will become a reality "eventually" but not in my lifetime thankfully. Every 18 months or so "give or take" a leap second is added to what is called "planetary time". This is done to keep the day "Synchronised" with things like "atomic clocks". But don't take my word for it you know all the "intelligent" people ask them...
    peace is a state of mind

Suspended
    Thanks
    As for your 25 hour day it will become a reality
    Ummmm I don't think so .....

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    As far as I know in the old days astronomers and now scientists/NASA know more or less what the earth's rotational speed is. I think they calculate this by observing the position of the sun in the sky during eclipses like a solar eclipse. They have been doing that for well over 2000 years. But the rotational rate isn't a pure constant. Our normal day/night is about 10 to 25 millionths of a second "slower" every year give or take. I know from some Googeling and a TV show that it will take 100 to 140 million years before we will get a 25 hour day. Now I will be long dead before that
    peace is a state of mind

Diamond Member
    Thanks
    tec0 - you have it by the ar$e hairs of a donkey. Leap seconds are not added because the earth spins faster and faster all the time. Leap seconds are sometimes added because the rotational rate of the earth varies and because our measure of time does not fit perfectly into the rotational rate of the earth. The earth does not rotate through 360 degrees in exactly 24 hours (or 86400 seconds) the rate is every so slightly off at 86400.001798 seconds or 864.0003987 seconds or whatever. This means that they need to compensate for the error in our coarse measurement of time (seconds) by adding a second every now and again because our clocks become out of sync with the exact GMT position of the earth. A second is simply a convenient measure of time because it is very close to the rotational rate of the earth. The only reason atomic clocks were introduced is to ensure that various countries have the same measure that is considered to be one second. Do you realize that atomic clocks also drift and have to be calibrated to one another every so often. Those clocks are affected by all sorts of things like gravity, solar flares, etc.

8. Thanks given for this post:

HR Solutions (05-Dec-13)

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by tec0 View Post
    I take it you never worked 12 hour shifts before? You get up at about 5:00am or 5:00pm depending if you are on dayshift or nightshift. You have to be at work at round about 6:00am or 6:00pm depending on the shift. So I really don’t see how daylight savings will have any impact whatsoever when it comes to shifts.

I say this because you will have to put in 12 hours of work regardless.
    Working an 12 hour or 18 hour day has nothing to do with daylight saving. Daylight saving has to do with when you need to switch the lights on. In Durban it is impossible to sleep after 5am, so you may just as well start working or going to the gym or whatever you do first in the morning. By starting earlier, you can come home earlier and still enjoy the last rays of the setting sun. In winter Durban is dark by 6pm, so you have to switch lights on much earlier than say Cape Town.
    Excellence is not a skill; its an attitude...

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Blurock View Post
    Working an 12 hour or 18 hour day has nothing to do with daylight saving. Daylight saving has to do with when you need to switch the lights on. In Durban it is impossible to sleep after 5am, so you may just as well start working or going to the gym or whatever you do first in the morning. By starting earlier, you can come home earlier and still enjoy the last rays of the setting sun. In winter Durban is dark by 6pm, so you have to switch lights on much earlier than say Cape Town.
    i get that part but I am just saying if you are locked on a 12 hour shift. you Will wake at X time work Y time and be home at Z time. Also the power load at the factory remains the same. They run 24/7 none stop.
    peace is a state of mind

Diamond Member
    Thanks
    I can think of one reason why daylight saving could have an effect on demand: If daylight saving is implemented in one county and not in another that is supplied from the same source. The demand curves for the two countries would be one hour out of step which should relieve peak demand somewhat because peak demand is now stepped by an hour across two demand points.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast