I found this while browsing, http://www.pallettruth.com/risks-to-workers/

How much truth is in these statements made by a person or company which must be selling plastic pallets.

I would be regarded as one of these DIY people who spend many hours planning, sanding and creating "stuff" with reclaimed pallet wood and a lot of the furniture in my house is built from these reclaimed pallets. (I don't use it bread boards and stuff like that)

They talk of poison in the wood, surely any treated wood is poisonous, some more than others, maybe Dave being in this line of work could give us some insight into these statements.

When working with wood especially when preparing, a dust mask is worn, should I be wearing my other mask which is for gasses?

When you paint a wood sealer onto the wood you have to wear a special mask because it let off a gas.

My question is other than the normal precautions taken while working with any treated wood, what other dangers would I need to watch out for?

I have a metal detector which is used to check the wood before it gets put on the jointer, and as for nails sticking, I am more concerned about the nails I shoot out the nails gun. I had to make a note to myself a couple weeks ago " don't hold the wood at the bottom while shooting nails" it is rather painful when you can see the black line through your finger sticking out just below your finger nail I know "idiot" I wasn't thinking, or should I say didn't expect the nail to go right through the wood and my finger.