Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Corporate titles

Silver Member league_of_ordinary_men's Avatar
    Thanks
    Okay guys I cant find the right line up anywhere,every site I read has a different line up. Please I need to know this.

Thanks
    Be a bit more specific. For what type business exactly? A restaurant will be different to a law firm...
    It is not the strongest of the species that survive, nor the most intelligent, but the one most responsive to change. – Charles Darwin

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by pmbguy View Post
    Be a bit more specific. For what type business exactly? A restaurant will be different to a law firm...
    It's okay pmbguy I finally got a site that explains it.

Thanks
    What was the website? Perhaps you should post what your findings were to complete the thread
    It is not the strongest of the species that survive, nor the most intelligent, but the one most responsive to change. – Charles Darwin

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by pmbguy View Post
    What was the website? Perhaps you should post what your findings were to complete the thread
    okay this is information I gathered from a few sites. First off we all know a CEO,COO,CFO.....etc and the list go's on you can read more about the C level's of the highest-level executives here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Corporate_title. In British English, terms often used as synonyms for CEO include managing director (MD) and chief executive (CE). Allot of our way's we adopted from the British, now the meaning of CEO and MD does have the same "basic" meaning although the functions may differ in someways http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chief_executive_officer. So in my opinion to play it safe I think one should use CEO in South Africa because I can't find the hierarchy we use in South Africa but CEO is a more universal and widely know title with well known and easily recognized subordinate executives. I might be wrong I might be right give your input guys so we can help other South Africans who would like to know.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,676 Times in 2,258 Posts
    Blog Entries

My experience of the typical hierarchy in SA is:

Chairman (of the Board of Directors, which may be executive and non-executive)
    Company Secretary*
    Chief Executive Officer
    Chief Financial Officer, Chief Operations Officer, Chief Marketing Officer etc.

*not too sure how the changes in company legislation might have affected this position, but historically it certainly was critical.

I have noticed some organisations where the American penchant for using President instead of Chairman and Executive Vice-president instead of CEO has crept in locally.

It's also worth noting that the Board of Directors are accountable to the shareholders, so technically when it comes to the level that holds the top power, it's the shareholders.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave A View Post

My experience of the typical hierarchy in SA is:

Chairman (of the Board of Directors, which may be executive and non-executive)
    Company Secretary*
    Chief Executive Officer
    Chief Financial Officer, Chief Operations Officer, Chief Marketing Officer etc.

*not too sure how the changes in company legislation might have affected this position, but historically it certainly was critical.

I have noticed some organisations where the American penchant for using President instead of Chairman and Executive Vice-president instead of CEO has crept in locally.

It's also worth noting that the Board of Directors are accountable to the shareholders, so technically when it comes to the level that holds the top power, it's the shareholders.
    So basically the why I have it is wrong?

Thanks
    Thanked 2,676 Times in 2,258 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by league_of_ordinary_men View Post
    So basically the why (way) I have it is wrong?
    Where do we differ?

I've just added the non-executive layer, and you'd already covered that MD and CEO are much the same thing.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12