Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Working From Home Advice

Thanks

Working From Home Advice

Hay all!

So I have been thinking about working from home. What would be the best way to approach working from home so that you can actually make enough Moola to support your family and also have enough time to look after the kids and do the general "house work". The reason why I'm asking this is because my Fiance wants to start her own business, I will be helping her with the marketing and management but I want to be financially independent (Don't want to rely on just the business for an income)

*Going on a work outing till Sunday morning so won't be able to respond till then

Need as much advice as possible! Thanx Forum

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    It comes down to her skill set. I know of a single mom that does nails “all those funky expensive stuff” that only women can explain to you. I know it is popular and that she makes good money. She outfitted a room at her home and only work by appointment as the process takes time.

So yes I would imagine it is possible BUT it really comes down on what one can do. Just stay away from those “work from home and earn millions BS” I spend a lot of money on it and I know for a fact it is BS.
    peace is a state of mind
    Disclaimer: everything written by me can be considered as fictional.

Diamond Member
    Thanks
    I spent 20 years in the corporate environment do programming DBA'ing etc. I left that environment about 10 years ago and started working from home in a very adhoc sort of way. My wife left her job and joined me. It took many years to get on our feet, mostly because we didn't know what we were doing. We now have two Wendyhouses packed to the brim with "work" stuff, the double garage is a fully functional workshop and to top it off we have a huge laser cutter, CNC mill, 3 PC's and three work desks in what used to be the lounge. We opened a shop a month or two ago and I'm installing a second laser in the shop on Tuesday next week.

Ok, to get back to working at home, it has it's upsides and downsides. It depends on your own nature. It works very well for my wife and I because we are natural workers. We spend 12-16 hours a day sitting back to back working, I may be running the CNC, she may be running the laser or I would be drawing and she would be doing bookkeeping or whatever. We enjoy working so we are always at it. It works for us because we love what we do, we are building our own business and in all honesty I don't see what I do as work, it is just a way to be creative, I find it relaxing and great fun.

Upsides:
    1. You save on expenses, not having to drive so much, have nice clothes etc.
    2. You are your on boss so you can work when you feel like it.

Downsides:
    1. You are your own boss, there is nobody to blame for your failings.
    2. If you and the wife work together you may just get on each others nerves so badly that either of you end up walking out.
    3. If you are anything like me you would spend 18 hours a day working.
    4. Customers phone your home at all hours.
    5. Your employees come to your house to work and their debt collectors come to look for them at your house.

Reality:
    I think that running your own business, be it from home or anywhere else, is fooooooking hard. We made every conceivable mistake in business that one could make. There are so many issues to contend with dealing with customers, doing admin, paying bills, doing vat, profitability, cash flow, marketing, (getting too much business is also problematic) chasing customers for money, dealing with suppliers, hiding from suppliers when you owe them money, hiding from customers when they want to kick your nuts in...

I think that running your own business is like learning to swim by diving head first into a river. If you're lucky you get to paddle a bit and get a feel for the water and the current. If you are really lucky you are taken up in a nice smooth flowing stream and you get to learn and grow gently. 90% of people dive head first into the shallow bottom, once they eventually come up for air their heads are bleeding and they are frantically trying to grab onto anything simply to try and stabilize themselves. They come through rapids, down waterfalls, get bashed around and tumbled until one day they learn how to cope with the river of business or they end up cast aside on the riverbank.

When I got into "my own business" I thought it would be easy, I have a product, people want it, I sell it to them and I make lots of money....it just doesn't work that way... I have become a lot more shrewd and streetwise but I still have so much to learn about the "engine" that drives a business. The "engine" being all the admin type stuff....

What can I say, I am richer for it mentally but poorer financially right now. I am now in a tremendous growth phase and all the sacrifices we have made over the past 10 years are now slowly starting to pay off.

You are welcome to PM me and come by the house and the shop, the house is in Goodwood and the shop in Boston. I can then show you first hand what a house / lounge / workshop / all in one looks like.

Just as an aside: The only way to ensure your future is to have your own thing going, you should position yourself so that you are able to run your business no matter where you are. The days of working for a company for life is gone, companies don't care, technology changes very fast and BEE stuffs any hope that you may have of finding formal employment. I am all for the young white family to have their own business.

Just shout if you need to bounce ideas around, the best I can do is to tell you of my own experiences in running a small business from home (including nearly going off the mental cliff in the process as well)

Diamond Member
    Thanks
    I forgot to mention, it is now 22:17, I am about halfway through cutting a job for an architectural student, my hands are pitch black from cutting really terrible chipboard material and the entire kitchen is covered in little packets and architectural model parts. I am sure to carry on with this lot till one am or so and then the "ex-" dining room, now lounge / storage area will also be full of bits of cardboard, wood and plastic. Every single person that comes in the front door think that we are quite crazy but hey, we love what we do and we are happy to share our home with our future!

Platinum Member sterne.law@gmail.com's Avatar
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Discipline and structure are important.
    Don't think "well if Im late I cant be fored!"
    Give yourself start times and deadlines, stick to them.

And WORK HARD
    Anthony Sterne

www.acumenholdings.co.za
    DISCLAIMER The above is merely a comment in discussion form and an open public arena. It does not constitute a legal opinion or professional advice in any manner or form.

6. Thanks given for this post:

tec0 (01-Nov-13)

Thanks
    [QUOTE=adrianh;99891]chasing customers for money, dealing with suppliers, hiding from suppliers when you owe them money, hiding from customers when they want to kick your nuts in...

Had a good laugh at this~!! Thanx for the responses guys, really helps I'll elaborate more on Monday! Have a great weekend.

Diamond Member
    Thanks
    I'll tell you this much, the art of lying with a straight face becomes second nature when you have customers $h1tting themselves....The politically correct term would be "using diplomacy to placate the customer"

My wife could never do this but having to deal with many customers and their $h1t made her develop a really thick skin.

Diamond Member
    Thanks
    Some more joys of working from home, my wife did bookkeping till 11:30 and I ran the laser till 11:45. So,now its time to sleep because,she has to get up at 6am to take the kids to skating and I have to getmup at 7am to carry on cutting the job for the architects. So let me tell you about home business pillow talk, you talk about customers, cashflow, work to be done the next day, things to remeber, things to buy and and and...

I went to look at the new - secondhand laser today, the machine is ok and useable. The wife insistes that we should installit at home, imagine, now we will have another full size laser in the 'lounge'

You know, we absolutely love having our own business but I can tell you, if my wife and I weren't on the same page then there would have been groot k@k long ago. Our lives revolve entirely around the kids and the business and it works for us.

If youcan find a way to run the business that you and your wife are comfortable with then you are halfway there because youmcan then work together to attain the same goals.

Diamond Member
    Thanks
    My wife loves the idea of me working at home, I get a list every Friday afternoon of all the things she wants built for the house, so no more fishing for me.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,676 Times in 2,257 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Top of my list as a critical ingredient for success is personal discipline. Even though you're working from home, make sure you've still got "set minimum working hours" (unless you're a workaholic like Adrian ), and make sure you actually do constructive work for those hours.

Top of my list for keeping sane is have a business telephone number and a personal telephone number. Make sure your personal number isn't listed anywhere.

Having separate, dedicated space for the business is also highly recommended. Physical separation of business and home helps mental separation of the two as well.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast