Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Who's in Charge?

Silver Member
    Thanks

Who's in Charge?

I had a query the other day "Who do I go to for help if I suspect that my Electrical certificate is fraudulent?"
    I know that Mark Palmer was associated with the Department of Labour and offered a service and assistance in this regard but he has since resigned this position.
    So who do the dissatisfied customers turn to now?

My answer was to phone the DOL and her reply was, "I cannot get them to even answer the switchboard!"

So what is the answer?
    Are we working in a completely unsupervised industry now?

To make a mistake is human, to learn from that mistake is knowledge and knowledge is strength.

Diamond Member
    Thanks
    You learning fast Leecat.

Silver Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ians View Post
    You learning fast Leecat.
    To be honest I think the writing is on the wall regarding a valid Electrical Certificate.
    The public has virtually no avenue of recourse now.
    I think that being involved in the issuing of these documents is eventually do one's company more harm than good due to the distaste it is already causing.
    To make a mistake is human, to learn from that mistake is knowledge and knowledge is strength.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,676 Times in 2,257 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Leecatt View Post
    To be honest I think the writing is on the wall regarding a valid Electrical Certificate.
    The public has virtually no avenue of recourse now.
    Look, it is the Department of Labour's responsibility to ensure there is adequate enforcement, and every now and then they do follow through. And as is the nature of these things of course, when they do, all hell breaks loose. More often than not, it doesn't make the headlines though.

Quote Originally Posted by Leecatt View Post
    I think that being involved in the issuing of these documents is eventually do one's company more harm than good due to the distaste it is already causing.
    I gently disagree with that. In industries where there is no policeman, reputation becomes a critical element in a client's decision making process when it comes to selecting a service provider.

My experience is over time the same effect kicks in with industries where the "official policing" is not particularly reliable - recognising the fact that a person being registered/accredited is not a reliable indicator of actual competence and quality, people start paying close attention to the reputation of the service provider.

Thanks
    I heard there are only 3 AIA members registered currently.Only the AIA's evidence can be used agenst you it court. The owner of the instolation must give them permission to inspect it

http://www.independent-inspectors.co.za/index.html

Diamond Member
    Thanks
    To date, I have not had one customer go through with an investigation. They always tell me just to fix the f%^&* up. The sad part 80 % of electrical installation that I check are not legal after an COC is issued.

You want to know the joke, the people who make out they would never do a kak installation or sign off an illegal COC are the biggest culprits.

It seems if you are "connected" you can do what ever you want. I had a customer send me pics of a new installation completed and signed over in a multi million rand domestic property. My customer requested I fly to Cape Town to sit in at the meeting, because the contractor and Cape authorities where trying to bully them into accepting the crap illegal installation. Eventually the customer got me to find a reputable company in the Cape to fix the mess.

I really enjoy those meeting where nobody knows who I am or what I do and only present in the meeting to verify if the contractors is trying to baffle with bullshit or if they are telling the truth. The last meeting I attended was rather entertaining, some people must think everyone is stupid. The contractor ended up having to fly teams down from JHB to carry out around R50 000 worth of fixing of a brand new machine installation. Sometimes it pays to get your ducks in a row and make sure that everyone attending the meeting is in fact just a bunch of mechanical engineers.

Thanks
    To answer your question, no-one is in charge.

DOL are supposed to be but they are not taking charge.

The Senior prosecutor was presented with his first and as far as I know only case years ago. It took him months if not a year to figure out that that was the case I was enquiring about. He has done absolutely nothing about it since, probably still in shock after discovering that he actually has to do something.

The electrical contractor, Volta Electrical, is still operational and giving unsuspecting members of the public invalid COCs.

I would love to see the: Senior prosecutor, the DOL officials who do not bother to push the prosecutor into action and the contractor all get electrocuted.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparks View Post
    .......I would love to see the: Senior prosecutor, the DOL officials who do not bother to push the prosecutor into action and the contractor all get electrocuted.
    Electrocution as a punishment is pretty much out of the question nowadays due to the cost of electricity and the extra strain on the grid would probably require load shedding every time it was metered out

Thanks
    Unfortunately you are probably right again Andy.

Thanks
    I am from Cape Town. We have to go into the DOL offices in the center of the City.
    I was shocked to find a filthy set of office suites with no one in it.
    I went from dirty office to another untill i saw a sign on the door, contractors registration.
    A very nice lady came to assist, i handed in my ID, she said i needed a certified one from the police.
    Huh!! i now had to make another trip the following week with the certified copy. I didnt read properly, it did say so.
    Any way, she said do i want to be registered for one, two or three years....i can pay proportionately.
    I thought about it "corruption came to mind" and i took the two year offer as who know what and where we will be in three years.

The impression i get of the DOL its just there to collect, i doubt that they have the teeth to fight anything, i mean a few bucks changing hands, and the documents disappear.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast