Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Anyone like cars?

Silver Member league_of_ordinary_men's Avatar
    Thanks

Anyone like cars?

So I had an interesting conversation with a friend who loves cars as much as me.What we talked about was the fact that you sometimes look at the car someone drives and you can get a sense of the guy's or woman's salary even if the bank owns it .But we were talking about some people like classic cars as well as modern cars but if some people see an old classic car they think poor guy he must not be doing so good,haha.But like me being a car fan I appreciate classics as well as a new car, so if I see the guy drive up with a old classic I can look at it and think that's a beautiful car were as some people will think wow can't this guy get something better.So whats your thoughts about seeing someone driving an old classic as a daily driver especially from a business perspective,you know if you have to meet someone for a meeting and they roll up in class,do you think in a sense that there not doing as well as someone in a brand new car?And I'm not talking about a fixer up here an talking about a real classic.

Diamond Member
    Thanks
    I couldn't care less...a car is just that, a car. Money does not define a person. My brother is a self made multi-millionaire and he drives a piece of crap 20 year old Merc, his ex boss is a billionaire (yes, he really is) and he drives a piece of crap 15 year old Audi 500.

The person who judges another person by the car they drive is an idiot and the person who thinks that others judge them by the car that they drive is also an idiot.....

...seems there are many idiots driving expensive cars to impress other idiots....

New cars are the single biggest waste of money on this planet - will you spend R1Mil on a house that is worth R500k the following day - I think not, so why in the hell do people spend it on cars...because they think that other people care....that is the only reason....

A new car is nothing more than a new handbag, it makes a a person feel as if they have attained something and have something to show the world....My view is simple F the world, who cares what they think...a confident woman doesn't need a new fake handbag to feel good about herself and a confident man doesn't new a new BM kitted with bells, whistles and yoyo's to feel good about himself.

Like I said, you have money or you don't, if you can't afford to pay for your expensive toys in cash then you don't...then you are just a wannabe!

3. Thanks given for this post:

Didditmiself (25-Aug-13)

Thanks
    I love luxury sedans, just can't afford them!!!
    “Ubuntu is the essence of being humane" Desmond Tutu
    Spelling mistakes and/or typographical errors I found in leading publications.
    Click here
    sabbaticus

Diamond Member
    Thanks
    Adrian funny you should say that, 2 of the richest people I know both drive old mercs they purchased before I was born and pay cash for everthing. Maybe that is the secrect to success not wasting money on HP for vehicles.

Personally I drive a practical vehicle, for me it is a Caddy van, for the simple reason it is totally closed in the back and it has side doors so you can access tools etc from the side, unlike a bakkie which is easy to break into and you have to climb into the vehicle and scratch for things.

I have just purchased a bus for many reasons, it will make my life easier and save money, before the bus we always had to do things with 2 vehicles, now we do everything with 1 vehicle, from towing the boat to just spending the day on the beach you name it.

It I didn't need a vehicle for work, if I worked in an office I would be riding a motor bike to work everyday.

My toy would be a Yamaha R1 in blue with gold and polished rims a turbo charger and nos kit attached and a single pipe, don't like the sound of the double pipes, my old screamer (wild thing) sounded so much better with a split single pipe on the side. Clocking 300 + helps you forget any silly things which where bothering you and rolling open the throttle releases the tension as you go the only reason I don't ride a bike anymore is because I am too selfish would be on the bike more than with my family and I cant ride one like a civilised person

If I could afford a car, this would be the car I would be driving in this colour http://www.fanpop.com/clubs/exotic-c...i-veyron-photo

Diamond Member
    Thanks
    Look, I really love cars, but not the wannabe cars.

My absolute favourite is the Pagani Huayra

http://www.pagani.com/huayra/default.aspx

What makes this car special is that Horacio Pagani is an artist, he is a visionary who is able to fuse art and engineering. Each and every part is crafted not only for engineering excellence but also for aesthetics. The Huayra is not a car, it is a Leonardo Da Vinci masterpiece.

A close second is Aston Martin - Aston's are also works of art, an Aston Martin is like an confident elegant lady in an evening dress, it's not in your face but you know that it is pure class.

The run of the mill brands simply cannot match these cars because they are soulless, they are designed by teams of engineers who design to profit from the masses - there is simply no art in them. BMW, Merc, Jag, etc have all become the same, they are like Ipods, each year you toss it out and get another one.

The 20th century brought plastics and mass production but at what cost....the cost is that of craftsmanship and artistry, I don't want a R700K Merc that is kitted like the space shuttle, I want a car that has a soul. Give me a '68 Mustang, a '70s Stingray, what about a Camaro SS, a Streetrod or even a Ratrod. Nah, I'll rather have a 40 year old big block V8 with a blower, a limited slip diff, straight pipes and no electric windows...

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    I like older cars not supper old or classic cars just nice old cars like 3 door VW GTI original or little Tarzan Mazda stuff like that. I like a car that is a bit "weathered".

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	GTI.jpg 
Views:	269 
Size:	14.8 KB 
ID:	3881
    peace is a state of mind
    Disclaimer: everything written by me can be considered as fictional.

Suspended
    Thanks
    I'm afraid I agree with Adrian here . I really don't give a damn about the persons salary as league mentioned !!!!! Who really cares ? I have just bought my FIRST new car but that means nothing . I Have always driven second hand for years.

Silver Member league_of_ordinary_men's Avatar
    Thanks
    Those are some nice car this is one of my favorites and yes it's a merc as well I want to get one as a daily driver when I can.This to me is old school class,I'm not a fan of these dim a dosen car that look like dinky toy's and a big block sure can make the adrenalin pump but the imports is beautiful as well.

http://www.stanceworks.com/2012/12/b...mercedes-benz/

And please don't get me wrong guys I don't judge others by the things they own,I'm just saying a I like a good car weather old,new or what ever.I have just seen allot of dump people treat good people differently because of the things they own or the car they drive and I have seen it in business as well that's why I asked.

@adrianh if you don't mind with business does your brother have? And I'm a fan old old merc as well.

Diamond Member
    Thanks
    Teco back in the 80's I had a GTI old golf 1 type, until I broke the gearbox, flying through the air, I must have landed wrong, that was the end of that GTI. I have always been a VW fan.

11. Thanks given for this post:

tec0 (26-Aug-13)

Diamond Member
    Thanks
    My brother got a BCOM LLB, CA and then an MBA. He spent 30 years in banking and then became the MD of Bank Windhoek for 5 years. He retired at 50 and spends his time wheeling and dealing and of course fiddling with model trains, planes and ships. His ex boss is a guy by the name of Koos Brandt who owns many many businesses in Namibia including Bank Windhoek.

He and Koos have brains that are able to hold the entire encyclopaedia Britannica and then some. My mind boggles at the depth of their thinking....I think that the size of my brain would lurk somewhere in a peanut sized deep recess of theirs...
    Last edited by adrianh; 25-Aug-13 at 07:42 PM. Reason: Spelling, grammer and missing letter from typing too fast.

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast