Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Anyone like cars?

Silver Member league_of_ordinary_men's Avatar
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by adrianh View Post
    My brother got a BCOM LLB, CA and then an MBA. He spent 30 years in banking and then became the MD of Bank Windhoek for 5 years. He retired at 50 and spends his time wheeling and dealing and of course fiddling with model trains, planes and ships. His ex boss is a guy by the name of Koos Brandt who owns many many businesses in Namibia including Bank Windhoek.

He and Koos have brains that are able to hold the entire encyclopaedia Britannica and then some. My mind boggles at the depth of their thinking....I think that the size of my brain would lurk somewhere in a peanut sized deep recess of theirs...
    Wow sounds like a smart man,thank you.

Diamond Member
    Thanks
    The guy is beyond smart yet he is one of the humblest people that I know. You see, that is what I mean about people who have real money, you and I dream about having a R2mil car, they can afford to have 10 and a Learjet yet they choose to drive a piece of crap....yes my mind boggles too....I am the one who would build a runway in the back yard for the Lear just because I can....

Maybe that is exactly why they become so wealthy, they make money just for the fun of wheeling and dealing rather than living the high life...I dunno, thinking about it makes my brain hurt!

Diamond Member
    Thanks
    I think you hit the nail on the head, with a degree you separate the hard working fools from the smart people, unfortunately I fall into the uneducated fool category. If I hadn't wasted all that time in my life working like a dog, and educated myself instead. I would be very smart rich man today, instead after 22 years in business I still count the pennies I make instead managing my wealth.

Let this be a lesson for all you youngsters out there, education is the key to success.(cash is king but without being educated on what to do with it chances are you gona waste it) If you want to work hard all your life become an artisan, if you want to enjoy the riches of life, get educated with a degree.

I still believe that if I go back and finish my studies or at least study to become a businessman or how to manage my money, I could change my future. I have tons of experience just not the certificate on the wall.

Like Adrian, I work like a dog, call them hobbies or what ever you want, you still have to work to make a living. Smart people make other people work to get rich, by making that statement we open a whole new thread (what is rich?)

Thanks
    I love cars too, the technology used to manufacture them is some of the best "mettle" since the building of the ark. My first car was a 1965, 1.5L,Ford Lotus Cortina, and had I known that the '65 genuine Lotus would be worth about R500K today, I would have kept it. I traded this on a Mini 1275E, had loads of fun with it before it was rear-ended and written off, then came my Mazda 323 RWD, Citi Golf 1.3 4-speed 1988, Ford Bantam Explorer 1.3, 1994, Mercedes E320, 1997, Toyota Rux RX1.6, 2003. Today, however, I don't even own a car, the Chev. Corsa bakkie I drive belongs to the company. The wife runs around in a little Hyundai Atos (a very impressive little car) and I'm busy with a rebuilding project on a 1969 Mini MK2, 1000cc, but that's going to take a couple of years.

I especially love the old rare cars, 1948 Tucker, 1960's Jaguar e-Type, etc.
    Today Defines Tomorrow
    Errare Humanum Est Remitto Divinus

Diamond Member
    Thanks
    Found this on Saturday, only the wheels are not original, everything else, including the seats are original. One of my all time 80's favorites, all the mates back in the day had or wanted one of these. Considering back in the day they where just over R3000, this would have been a good investment if you could sell it for that price today.

Back in the day we would jack up the back suspension, bigger back rims with 225 tyres, noisy exhaust, big sound and a small back scoop you were the man and if you could find the RS2000 well you where king.

Diamond Member
    Thanks
    Dave you want to know something really scary, when I purchased the house I live in, there was an MG the one that looks like and e type jag with the long bonnet parked in one of the garages, was auctioned off for around R20 000, still had the black leather seats and everything else original, chrome bumpers the works. A person contacted me a couple months after I purchased the house and told me he had offered the previous owner R250 000 for the car.

One of my customers has just imported a left hand drive old mustang from the USA, cleaned it up a bit and now it is apparently worth R650 k, makes you think buying old cars and restoring them could be a good business venture.

Another customer is sourcing and fixing up old V8 bakkies, making a small fortune selling them.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ians View Post
    Dave you want to know something really scary, when I purchased the house I live in, there was an MG the one that looks like and e type jag with the long bonnet parked in one of the garages, was auctioned off for around R20 000, still had the black leather seats and everything else original, chrome bumpers the works. A person contacted me a couple months after I purchased the house and told me he had offered the previous owner R250 000 for the car.

One of my customers has just imported a left hand drive old mustang from the USA, cleaned it up a bit and now it is apparently worth R650 k, makes you think buying old cars and restoring them could be a good business venture.

Another customer is sourcing and fixing up old V8 bakkies, making a small fortune selling them.
    My uncle does exactly that and he is doing well rebuilding old V8 monsters. I remember when we where younger we would get into that old ford granada with a chevy v8 big block engine 4 speed auto "only thing that could handle that kind of power" and just drove. There is nothing like that engine running on the open road.

I loved it... See for us it wasn't about the destination... It is about getting behind the wheel.
    peace is a state of mind
    Disclaimer: everything written by me can be considered as fictional.

Diamond Member
    Thanks
    R64K is a bit steep for that car.

Silver Member league_of_ordinary_men's Avatar
    Thanks
    Does anyone have any good stories about successful people what started from nothing,you know like Richard Branson? I love those stories of how they made a success from nothing and not just chase the money but actually enjoy doing business and the rewards it offers?Maybe someone here has a story of his own?

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    It seems like a lot of money, My friend got himself a "almost" original GTI MK1 it is a bitty that people pull the motor. That said he paid R30k for it and invested some real money to get it fixed up. Did a lot of upgrades including ABS and all the rest. It will be a "go-fast hatch". Point is if you really really want something price is no longer an object. I know people that spend over a R100k on something they really like. This little Ford is a wonderful car to own really they don't build them like that anymore.

I personally "if I had the funds" wouldn't think twice... I know them I like them and this one is really clean so well worth the investment. "if you are really into cars that is"

That said anything that doesn't run on a computer is my friend
    peace is a state of mind
    Disclaimer: everything written by me can be considered as fictional.

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast