So I was finally zapped by the Bank incompetence this morning, I bank with FNB.

I was on my way to a customer and it is a 1 hour trip each way. My car was empty and I stop to fill up. I spend R460 and then hand my petro card to the attendant only to be told transaction declined. So I then give him my cheque card which was also declined.

So I phone FNB and am told that my cards are on hold as they are waiting for proof of address, and transfer me to a premier banker. Then I get told I need to come into the bank and give them proof of address, so I explain nicely that I can't as I have to pay for petrol and my cards are blocked so I can't even draw cash to do this. They then say hold on and they will phone back. About 45 minutes later they phone back and say they have found my proof of address and the lady who had it forgot to capture it. But I have to wait 10 minutes for the hold to be lifted. All this time I have the attendant jumping up and down as he says the cash comes out of his salary if I don't pay. They finally phone back and say that all is good to go. And they will have disciplinary against the staff member.

There was lots of swearing from my side to get my point across that I was hopping mad.

Now I will be moving some money etc. to another bank so I don't get caught in this incompetence and never land in this humiliating position again. I will look at Capitec tomorrow and see what they offer. Service etc. normally isn't bad from FNB but guard against incompetence just like we need cell phones for when Telkom is down.