Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 27

Thread: Avaaz and e tolling

  1. #1
    Gold Member Dave S's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Randburg
    Posts
    733
    Thanks
    39
    Thanked 116 Times in 90 Posts

    E-Tolls Again...

    I have signed the Avaaz petition to prevent the e-tolling of Gauteng's freeways, the link is below.

    Although I am not entirely against tolling, the ridiculous "get-rich-quick" prices that are imposed on an already tight economy are just not acceptable, if they were asking for a R0.03c or R0.04c per Km it would be a more reasonable request, after all, once the tolling is in place it will never stop and the price will just keep increasing, even after the debt is paid-up.

    https://secure.avaaz.org/en/south_africa_etoll/?copy
    Today Defines Tomorrow
    Errare Humanum Est Remitto Divinus

  2. Thank given for this post:

    Vanash Naick (14-Aug-13), wynn (14-Aug-13)

  3. #2
    Diamond Member wynn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    east london
    Posts
    3,338
    Thanks
    548
    Thanked 624 Times in 523 Posts

    Avaaz and e tolling

    follow this link and get as many people you know to also follow and help get rid of e tolling?

    https://secure.avaaz.org/en/south_africa_etoll/?copy

    President Zuma:
    We call on you not to sign the Transport Laws and Related Matters Amendment Bill, which was developed and written without proper transparency with the public. E-tolls on Gauteng's freeways are a burden to taxpayers who can't afford the tolls, but need the roads to go about their lives and get to their jobs. We urge you to kill the e-toll bill.
    "Nobody who has succeeded has not failed along the way"
    Arianna Huffington

    Read the first 10% of my books "Didymus" and "The BEAST of BIKO BRIDGE" for free
    You can also read and download 100% free my short stories "A Real Surprise" and "Pieces of Eight" at
    http://www.smashwords.com/books/view/332256

  4. #3
    Diamond Member wynn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    east london
    Posts
    3,338
    Thanks
    548
    Thanked 624 Times in 523 Posts
    Oops! I also posted the avaaz link in another post, probably best because more people will click away
    "Nobody who has succeeded has not failed along the way"
    Arianna Huffington

    Read the first 10% of my books "Didymus" and "The BEAST of BIKO BRIDGE" for free
    You can also read and download 100% free my short stories "A Real Surprise" and "Pieces of Eight" at
    http://www.smashwords.com/books/view/332256

  5. #4
    Diamond Member Vanash Naick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    lenasia
    Posts
    3,281
    Thanks
    849
    Thanked 693 Times in 607 Posts
    Blog Entries
    2
    Signed

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	made_at_www_txt2pic_com.jpg 
Views:	47 
Size:	40.3 KB 
ID:	3832
    “The philosophers have only interpreted the world, in various ways. The point, however, is to change it.” Karl Marx
    vanash.naick@gmail.com
    TFSA Disclaimer
    Local Music with a grassroots touch


  6. #5
    Site Caretaker Dave A's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Durban, South Africa
    Posts
    20,979
    Thanks
    3,055
    Thanked 2,462 Times in 2,067 Posts
    Blog Entries
    12
    Quote Originally Posted by wynn View Post
    Oops! I also posted the avaaz link in another post, probably best because more people will click away
    Or someone from the admin team might merge the two threads
    The trouble with opportunity is it normally comes dressed up as work.

  7. #6
    Bronze Member Didditmiself's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    South Africa
    Posts
    180
    Thanks
    31
    Thanked 26 Times in 18 Posts
    Although I am not entirely against tolling,

    Actually I am totally against any form of tolling - makes no difference to me whether it's electronic or the 'drive up to the toll-gate' method. I don't see why I have to pay three times for my having to use the road. Firstly my road licence, then a portion of my income tax and then a fkn e-toll! Once again the guavament went ahead without consultation and thought we are morons who would be intimidated and that we'd simply pay up. Latest idiotic proposals: ban all alcohol advertising;(advertising hardly increases sales) ban alcohol sales on Sunday; (people will buy on Saturdays) enforce a zero limit if you drive; (Catholics will no longer be able to have Communion wine) make purchasing used spares from scrap-yards illegal; (close dozens of scrapyards who do not sell junk (only 'used' in most cases) and increase unemployment); ban smoking everywhere (virtually impossible - Prohibition in the States did little to stop the distilling and consumption of liquor).
    I'm off the topic but basically I've pointed out that just recently (and over the years), countless proposals have emanated from the ANC and if they're not around any more (the proposals) it's because they were unworkable and were scrapped.

    Let's continue the pressure re: E Tolling. If we do, it will eventually be scrapped because the ANC will finally realise that it's an unworkable system that will cost more to collect and operate than it's worth. They will have little choice but to find other means to sort out the Pension Fund mess that they created when they decided to borrow from it to put up guarantees to Kapsch Austria to finance the system.

  8. #7
    Site Caretaker Dave A's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Durban, South Africa
    Posts
    20,979
    Thanks
    3,055
    Thanked 2,462 Times in 2,067 Posts
    Blog Entries
    12
    Quote Originally Posted by Didditmiself View Post
    I don't see why I have to pay three times for my having to use the road. Firstly my road licence, then a portion of my income tax and then a fkn e-toll!
    You left out the road levy built into the fuel price, which is far from chicken feed either
    The trouble with opportunity is it normally comes dressed up as work.

  9. Thanks given for this post:

    Chrisjan B (16-Aug-13)

  10. #8
    Bronze Member Hermes14's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Fourways
    Posts
    150
    Thanks
    3
    Thanked 31 Times in 26 Posts
    From what I have heard the government's pension fund is in the etoll system.
    If the etoll collapses, the government's pension fund collapses.

  11. #9
    Gold Member Dave S's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Randburg
    Posts
    733
    Thanks
    39
    Thanked 116 Times in 90 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Didditmiself View Post
    Actually I am totally against any form of tolling - makes no difference to me whether it's electronic or the 'drive up to the toll-gate' method. I don't see why I have to pay three times for my having to use the road. Firstly my road licence, then a portion of my income tax and then a fkn e-toll! Once again the guavament went ahead without consultation and thought we are morons who would be intimidated and that we'd simply pay up. Latest idiotic proposals: ban all alcohol advertising;(advertising hardly increases sales) ban alcohol sales on Sunday; (people will buy on Saturdays) enforce a zero limit if you drive; (Catholics will no longer be able to have Communion wine) make purchasing used spares from scrap-yards illegal; (close dozens of scrapyards who do not sell junk (only 'used' in most cases) and increase unemployment); ban smoking everywhere (virtually impossible - Prohibition in the States did little to stop the distilling and consumption of liquor).
    I'm off the topic but basically I've pointed out that just recently (and over the years), countless proposals have emanated from the ANC and if they're not around any more (the proposals) it's because they were unworkable and were scrapped.

    Let's continue the pressure re: E Tolling. If we do, it will eventually be scrapped because the ANC will finally realise that it's an unworkable system that will cost more to collect and operate than it's worth. They will have little choice but to find other means to sort out the Pension Fund mess that they created when they decided to borrow from it to put up guarantees to Kapsch Austria to finance the system.
    I digress, you are quite right, we do pay too much tax in the form of tolls, levies, etc. The other problem I see is that the tolls they want just don't bare any relationship to other tolls, for instance, a trip from JHB to DBN will set you back R174 (I think that was the figure) over a distance of 600Kms, and these are privately managed highways. In the same breath a trip of 40Kms in Gauteng will set you back around R88.00, if not more? and these are gobblemunt managed highways.

    You've changed my mind, I am totally against tolling in any form. If our gobblemunt weren't so "hell bent" on STEALING from the COUNTRY, they would have enough money to build highways and wouldn't need additional tolls, levies, and taxes...
    Today Defines Tomorrow
    Errare Humanum Est Remitto Divinus

  12. Thanks given for this post:

    Chrisjan B (17-Aug-13)

  13. #10
    Full Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    midvaal
    Posts
    32
    Thanks
    3
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Dear Jay ZEE, why don't you stick your e toll where the sun don't shine. I will NOT put my number plate on my bike so you forget about ripping me off.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. E-tolling or E Thief?
    By Vanash Naick in forum General Chat Forum
    Replies: 213
    Last Post: 21-Nov-14, 06:11 PM
  2. E-Tolling ban lifted
    By sterne.law@gmail.com in forum General Business Forum
    Replies: 22
    Last Post: 28-Sep-12, 09:37 AM

Did you like this article? Share it with your favourite social network.

Did you like this article? Share it with your favourite social network.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •