Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Telkom mobile (8ta)

Diamond Member
    Thanks

Telkom mobile (8ta)

Be warned if you decide to take out a contract with Telkom mobile (formally known as 8ta), beside the rest of the crap, defective iphone5, R2000 bill the first month, then the R11 000 bill the second month. I am getting to a point with this contract that I am gona be better off throwing this phone into the sea. The time I have wasted on this phone and contract I could have paid cash for a Samsung S4 and not been stuck with a R400 per month bill and I could have at least had good reception with MTN. So anyone wanting to invest in Telkom mobile (8TA) don't say you haven't been warned, especially the Telkom mix, that just takes the inconvenience to a whole new level.

I decided to take the iphone5 out for a test run today, and so the kak just gets worse.

Sitting in the middle of Pinetown, I attempted to make a call, 3 seconds into the call, the line dropped, tried to redial, no service.

This is the part that really burns my ass, with Telkom mix you get a free Telkom landline number to call, so I attempt to call this number, line drops, no service, full mtn signal appears with 3G sign, I attempt to use the phone to the free landline number again, it wont even dial out, no service again. After the 3rd attempt I get through order materials I need and dial *188# ...yip on the nail, the bundle less the duration of the call indicating it I had just paid for the call.

I don't have time to go into the whole story trying to load data, once the 350 meg was used up.

Why I didn't I just stick to MTN pay as you go.

Diamond Member
    Thanks
    IT all looks good in the ad, what they don't include in the ad is the rates they charge per minute and data fees, once these limits are used up. The rate per minute in this contract R1.50 p/m but Telkom mobile rate is 0.95c, I still cant find the data rate per minute

Try find the call per min. rate or data usage rate, in or out of the contract

http://www.telkom.co.za/general/cust...ewsletter.html

Diamond Member
    Thanks
    Telkom mobile (8ta) on site in Hill street Pinetown, no signal

Saturday Knowles centre, no signal, pick u p my MTN phone, full signal.

Another issue I am having, there seems to be 2 types of data available, Telkom data and data for other networks, this just didn't seem real until the data for other networks expired and I received a message indicating that my internet had been paused due to the fact that data to other networks had expired. You then go onto Telkom data, no comment.

I made a similar mistake many years ago with Virgin mobile, which almost cost me my business, ported my number and expected the same coverage as MTN, well you live and learn or well you suppose to, I made the mistake of thinking Telkom is so big they would have the same kind of coverage if not better, but once again I should have taken the time to do a little research first and found that Telkom mobile(8 ta) are still new in the game and have along way to go.

The data rate is R1.00 per meg, if you are on Telkom mix and you don't have a cut off at 350 meg and run over the 350 they offer in the mix, you better start looking at your access bond, because if you are downloading you tube videos for example and run into the 10 gig range, it is gona cost you R10 000 +

If you use the adsl wi fi, speed is .77 Mbps download and .41 Mbps upload, reading done this morning at 8.30am
    If you use the Telkom mobile sim card with the 3 G on (which by the way is very unstable and I am yet to get a full signal with 3 G) reading taken this morning with 3 bars and E 8ta 0.14 Mbps download speed and 0.00 Mbps.
    With data for other networks available I manage to get 3.45 Mbps download and 1.45Mbps speed that is with MTN 3 G indicated on the iphone5, reading taken last week.

Diamond Member
    Thanks
    I am currently on pay as you go and I want to purchase a new phone, my Sony Erricsson P1i is a bit long in the tooth. After much research I've come to the conclusion that the best way to go is to buy a Galaxy S4 for R6,000 off Gumtree, with papers of course, and to stay on pay as you go. They are welcome to keep their contracts shoved very deep up their Jaakop Zoomba verbal orifices, at least I can't get a nasty surprise at the end of the month as I did many times when I was on contract.

Diamond Member
    Thanks
    Beware of buying phones on gumtree, my mate purchased a phone brand new still in the box, a couple of weeks later the phone required a repair, took it the store, was told the contract for the phone was not paid up to date and therefore, they could not repair the phone.

Diamond Member
    Thanks
    hmmm...now that it not nice, thanks for telling me.

Thanks
    I bought a S3 mini off carbonite forums for R2800 a few months ago so far no hassles also on pay as you go.
    Only stress when you can change the outcome!

Diamond Member
    Thanks
    This actually opens up an interesting question. If a phone is purchased on a 2 year contract at what point does the phone become the property of the the contracted party. Does it legally become your property at the start of the contract or at the end of the contract? Now, if it works like a lease, can one then legally sell the phone before the contract is up?

This is really something interesting to think about.

Another question of course is if the phone is sold on to a 2nd party during the contract period is the original supplier still responsible for repairs or does that then become the sole responsibility of the manufacturer.

Silver Member
    Thanks
    If u want the Samsung S4, quite honestly i would just get it on a Cell C contract, there are savings, trust me. i now have a samsung S3 on a R299 p.m. contract with free R100 air-time at 99c/min/sec billing and any additional usage at the the same rate.

Of course my new contract was entered into after i bid farewell to MTN after a lifetime with them!!!

Diamond Member
    Thanks
    I've been with with Vodacom for a lifetime and I have no qualms about parting ways with them. I'll look into Cell C with an S4...thanks.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast