Results 1 to 5 of 5

Thread: Insulation piercing connectors

  1. #1
    Full Member kahoel117's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    cape town
    Posts
    61
    Thanks
    6
    Thanked 4 Times in 4 Posts

    Question Insulation piercing connectors

    What is an " insulation piercing connector " and how does it work ?
    I've recently seen it in an domestic home installation where it kind of taps of the live wire going into the prepaid meter and the other going to the distribution box.
    here is a link of how it looks .... insulation piercing connector

  2. #2
    Platinum Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    KZN
    Posts
    1,587
    Thanks
    76
    Thanked 138 Times in 118 Posts
    Looks like the connector we used for bundle conductors, used them when I contracted to Durban electricity department and installed overhead bundle conductors, many years ago.

  3. #3
    Full Member kahoel117's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    cape town
    Posts
    61
    Thanks
    6
    Thanked 4 Times in 4 Posts
    Also strange that you can save money with it. They say it reduces the pulses per load. Usually its something like 1000 counts / kwh. Maybe it makes the counts more for an kwh.
    ???

  4. #4
    Diamond Member AndyD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Cape Town
    Posts
    4,402
    Thanks
    513
    Thanked 854 Times in 687 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by kahoel117 View Post
    I've recently seen it in an domestic home installation where it kind of taps of the live wire going into the prepaid meter and the other going to the distribution box.
    Quote Originally Posted by kahoel117 View Post
    Also strange that you can save money with it. They say it reduces the pulses per load. Usually its something like 1000 counts / kwh. Maybe it makes the counts more for an kwh.
    ???
    I'm putting two and two together here and it's sounding like power theft....

    A connection is a connection, the device used to make it won't have any effect on the energy consumption or the metering.

    These types of connectors are notoriously unreliable, I wouldn't touch them with a barge pole for any connection that's more than a couple of Amps. I've never seen them used by the council in my area, only the split bolt line-tap connectors.
    _______________________________________________
    I am special and so is Vanash.
    _______________________________________________

  5. Thanks given for this post:

    Dave A (19-Jun-13)

  6. #5
    Silver Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Germiston, South Africa
    Posts
    251
    Thanks
    12
    Thanked 33 Times in 30 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyD View Post
    I'm putting two and two together here and it's sounding like power theft....

    A connection is a connection, the device used to make it won't have any effect on the energy consumption or the metering.

    These types of connectors are notoriously unreliable, I wouldn't touch them with a barge pole for any connection that's more than a couple of Amps. I've never seen them used by the council in my area, only the split bolt line-tap connectors.
    I agree
    To make a mistake is human, to learn from that mistake is knowledge and knowledge is strength.

Similar Threads

  1. Insulation resistance test
    By ians in forum Electrical Contracting Industry Forum
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 04-Sep-12, 04:38 PM
  2. [Question] Ceiling insulation R value required in Cape Town
    By smitty in forum Energy and Resource Conservation Forum
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 04-Jul-11, 10:45 AM
  3. Motor winding insulation
    By mikilianis in forum Electrical Contracting Industry Forum
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 18-Mar-10, 07:30 AM
  4. Ceiling insulation effect on electrical work
    By duncan drennan in forum Electrical Contracting Industry Forum
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 16-Jan-10, 05:04 PM

Tags for this Thread

Did you like this article? Share it with your favourite social network.

Did you like this article? Share it with your favourite social network.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •