Thread: Ethekwini geyser timer installations

Diamond Member
    Thanks

Ethekwini geyser timer installations

Firstly can anyone see anything wrong with this picture, besides the fact that the DB is old and dirty and the original labels which are about 20 + years old, my focus is on the brand new white timer on the left, which was installed a week ago and a brand new Certificate of compliance issued to confirm that the timer is installed according to SANS regs.

But to add fuel to the fire, this installation was done by an Ethekwini electricity department approved contractor, doing the work on behalf of the electricity department, which I assume is checked by the clerk of works.

Not only has there been numerous complaints from flat dwellers about faulty units, when I checked the settings. 6 am till 9 am and 6 pm until 9 pm, you wont be saving any electricity, because that is 6 hours a day that the geyser is on, but if the intention was to load shed, then surely these settings are a little out, when you watch the load indicator on TV it shows you should have things like your geyser off during that period.

It doesn't end here wait till you see the COC, it only gets better, I still need to scan the 6 pages. The part you are really gona enjoy, is the part, where we as private contractors have our COCs checked by Sherwyn before the EThekwini electricity department will even process your application never mind come and connect, yet they are allowing these contractors who are sub contracting directly to the electricity department get away this, I smell a RAT and a huge one at that.

eeeeeeeeiiiiiish I can see someone in the electricity department or mates making a small fortune out of this little exercise. I wonder who is supplying these timers, look like something from far far far east.

They have installed hundreds of these units in flats in Montclair South of Durban, that I know of, I can only assume that they are going around to all the flats and complexes in Durban. I wonder how they will be getting their money back as it is a "free service"

I was told by some of the flat owners, they were bullied by these contractors during the installation and made to sign the COC accepting the work was done correctly.

I contacted Ethekwini customer services today to query these COCs, after the 15th time I was transferred around the department from one person to another person to another person, I gave up. I don't have the patients to deal with these arrogant people. It seems there was no management available to comment, they were out doing something else, in fact now that I think about it, every time I request management to deal with issue relating to bad customer service they are not available.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,676 Times in 2,257 Posts
    Blog Entries
    There is one thing civil servants seem to have got very good at in SA - how to pass hot potatoes.

Thanks

Diamond Member
    Thanks
    EThekwini advised me that it is not one of their contractors, instead it is an Eskom approved contractors, so it is not their problem, even though they are being installed in their area of supply.

Thanks
    iI have also come across timers fitted, but they do not look like the one in your pic and they can not be set at all. I cannot remember if I was told that it is Eskom or Ethikweni that installs it , but the installation of these are not any better that your pic and in some cases the owners have "DIY" removed them due to the fact that times are preset end switches the geysers off at the time you need it most. These are also installed in the general Durban area and i don't know if you have come across them.

Diamond Member
    Thanks
    The rumour is that someone got the contract from Eskom and is using sub contractors to install these timers @ R50 per unit.

Thanks
    Not certain if it's the same thing, but my neighbourhood was unilaterally installed with geyser timer devices. I've noticed that the time that they are switched off varies.
    “Ubuntu is the essence of being humane" Desmond Tutu
    Spelling mistakes and/or typographical errors I found in leading publications.
    Click here
    sabbaticus

Email problem
    Thanks

incorrect information

the geyser timer issue is an eskom iniative and any problems or complaints should be directed to eskom not the municipality.
    yes the area is supplied up to the meter point by metro- after the meter is the consumers responsibility and if you allow or request any one to alter or add any thing to the electrical installation, it requires a COC which the supply authority under the OSH ACT has a right to view this COC. if the COC/ installation has had electrical problems and contravening sans 10142s etc, then the supply authority must disconnect supply after giving a reasonable period to sort the problems out or disconnect immediately if the situation warrants.

9. Thanks given for this post:

Dave A (12-Aug-13)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ians View Post
    The rumour is that someone got the contract from Eskom and is using sub contractors to install these timers @ R50 per unit.
    It was definately sub-contractors that installed these units in my neighbourhood
    “Ubuntu is the essence of being humane" Desmond Tutu
    Spelling mistakes and/or typographical errors I found in leading publications.
    Click here
    sabbaticus