Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Is Lyoness a scam?

Thanks
    Dave - you will not find ANY of the "business opp" literature online as all the sign ups include serious Non-Disclosures. You will also not find any counter argument to the basic facts that you can bypass ALL the "shopping" points (because at 1% it would take you 10 lifetimes) and purchase large numbers of board positions (accounting units) in a binary matrix (pyramid turned on its side)

The website they post as an independent review is just marketing spin and full of logical holes at all points. It is hard to keep reading through heaps of pure manure. Lets just touch a few things:
    1. Troy Dooley video - he does not do a 180'. He says (and you can check his own site) that that the shopping MIGHT be legit, but the compensation plan is convoluted and MOST LIKELY in breach of the SEC rules. "Their lawyers in the US are working on it"
    2. Comparing Google & Microsoft to scams??? Really??
    3. Powerful alliances: It seems to be a mehtod they use (like "partnering with great retailers") They take offices in the most expensive office space they can find. They have offices at CliffDekker in Sandton to make them look flash. They have space in the Empire state Building. It proves they like to look important, not that they are legit.
    4. Pyramid Scheme: The income disclosure of the business proves that there is nearly NO shopping. In the US last year - 99.6% of lyoness members averaged $0.38 in income. 38 CENTS!!! The next 0.4% made a little and the top .01% made heaps.
    If shopping drove the revenue it would look very different. The money is made from "accounting units" created when people "make down payments on future purchases" (Read INVEST). Once that happens, the numbers start rolling up the chain.
    5. High corporate profile: You mean like Fedentia, Enron and many many others. The ability to "give away" money is not proof of a legitimate business. The biggest gangsters are always great benefactors to the poor in their own neighborhoods... it helps people tolerate the crime they commit.
    6. Certification : NONE of those certifications have ANYTHING to do with the business & money flow in the "premium member" side of things.
    7. "Free cashback card" - as I said, that is the cover. Having sold the concept to small businesses, it needs to generate revenue. The

8. And Lastly... the proof that you can bypass all the shopping is laid out clearly at step 8
    In other words, if you had shopped properly through the system for 4 years, and spent around $100,000 on gas or groceries etc you would have generated around 40 shopping units with a potential payout value of $27,000 in profit share.
    So Lyoness say, "We know you are going to need to buy food and fuel for the next 4 years, so rather than having to wait that long to benefit from the Lyoness model, why not pay a 'deposit' (down-payment) on those future purchase. That way you can get the LEVERAGE TODAY of years worth of shopping.

How can they do this?

Well remember the $3000 represents the CASH-BACK the merchants would have given Lyoness to distribute if you had actually spent around $100,000 (at a 3% merchant)
    So to the Lyoness accounting program it is EXACTLY THE SAME as if you had actually spent the $100,000.

What mattered most to me was that THE MONEY WAS REAL and genuinely represented shopping.

Having called the main people at both Woolies and PnP, I can assure you that NONE of the BS explanations that have been said here are true.
    Woolworths were pissed off that there gift cards where effectively being resold at a profit AND that Lyoness referred multiple times in their sales and marketing literature as having being "vetted" by Woolies. The reality is that without this perceived OK from big names, Lyoness would have zero credibility.
    PnP gave me an almost identical answer.
    And in case you are wondering about how hard it is to by bulk gift cards - http://www.picknpay.co.za/picknpay/c...Detail&pid=699
    >R20k = 2.5%
    >R50k = 5%
    PnP had NO idea who is getting these cards once they leave HQ and had not vetted anything.

Walmart in the USA - GONE, for the same reason.

SARS - they do not vetted business practices, they collect taxes. In fact they will tax criminal activity of they can... just look at the case history of crime lords not declaring income.
    Treasury - Proof please.
    SARB - they will eventually be the ones who shut this down, when they wake up to the fact. Unfortunately they tend arrive too late to pick up the pieces when the numbers get out of hand. I would like to see the "approval" they gave this scheme.

Let me make myself clear again - the shopping is the ruse... it is NOT where the money is made. OnePilot knows that, as does every other salesman of this scam.
    The money is made when you fill you board, have people below fill their board and people below them fill their board. Once that happens, the money flows up that chain and that my friends is a pure basic, garden variety PYRAMID SCHEME.
    Sure 5% of the members actually do it, but from Lyoness's own numbers reported in the Sunday Times, if 5% of the 30,000 claimed members paid in, that has generated R30,000,000 in "downpayments for future purchases" on which revenue has been earned.
    The law has already been broken here.

Here is the best explanation, in easy to follow steps,
    Read the comments section too as you will find well reasoned explanations.

1. http://behindmlm.com/companies/lyone...tment-returns/
    2. http://behindmlm.com/companies/lyone...ment-analysis/

And here you have the Austrian press going at them with the head corruption investigator calling them directly "an illegal pyramid scheme"
    http://behindmlm.com/companies/lyone...ment-analysis/

No whilst this guy is a bit muddled, the Dragons in Canada can cut through the BS in one quick step:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BrwwC6KuS7Y

2. Thank given for this post:

AndyD (10-Nov-13), Dave A (08-Nov-13)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,676 Times in 2,258 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by OnePilot View Post
    Fortunately I have known Dave - to whom the invitation was addressed - for a number of years ...
    To get this sideshow out of the way and for the record

If it's going to be an issue and you need a hand getting that invite part of your post out of the forum area, Ian, you know where to find me.

Quote Originally Posted by mvubu View Post
    Here is the best explanation, in easy to follow steps,
    Read the comments section too as you will find well reasoned explanations.

1. http://behindmlm.com/companies/lyone...tment-returns/
    Thanks Mvubu. That particular link really helped get a better idea of the structure.

It looks like when it comes to down payments and the consequences, we might be in that murky area of plausible deniability then.

Strange ol' world we live in. I'm pretty sure I've mentioned this somewhere on TFSA years ago, but back in the days when I was "doing" MLM, I was surprised to discover just how many people would have knowingly jumped on board a pyramid scheme compared to the number of people who were prepared to build a genuine MLM business.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave A View Post
    To get this sideshow out of the way and for the record

If it's going to be an issue and you need a hand getting that invite part of your post out of the forum area, Ian, you know where to find me.

Thanks Mvubu. That particular link really helped get a better idea of the structure.

It looks like when it comes to down payments and the consequences, we might be in that murky area of plausible deniability then.

Strange ol' world we live in. I'm pretty sure I've mentioned this somewhere on TFSA years ago, but back in the days when I was "doing" MLM, I was surprised to discover just how many people would have knowingly jumped on board a pyramid scheme compared to the number of people who were prepared to build a genuine MLM business.
    There is a major difference between "direct selling" and MLM. I have NO issue with direct selling and believe more people should do it. This promotes real entrepreneurship and builds genuine RETAIL customer base.

There is another difference between a genuine MLM, with an actual product/ service that has margin built in to pay distributors and a company that is clearly taking hard cash to buy positions in a pyramid. You can give it fancy names all you like, the core facts remain unchanged. There is no gray area here.
    Most MLMs sell overpriced goods to unsuspecting new entrants + charging crazy money for seminars etc. The best expose and explanation of recent times was Ackmans excellent presentation on Herbalife, which can be applied to almost every MLM that I have ever seen. The market is beating him on the head for it, but his points remain.
    The takeaway from it for me however that at least Herbalife has a product, regardless of how overpriced it is. That they fall foul of FTC regulations is about to be tested.
    The first hour is worth watching http://www.visualwebcaster.com/Pershing/91149/event.asp

If Lyoness was a genuine rewards company, they would completely abandon their "binary matrix", downpayment system or at least make the contract and payment structure CLEAR on their own website. But they cannot, because new money needs to pay old money, and they now shuffle it across multiple countries, using multiple corporate veils. The South African contract is signed with a Swiss company. The Swiss members sign with an Austrian company... weird eh?

Thanks
    Dave - I meant to add this link which is the best at cutting into the numbers
    http://behindmlm.com/companies/lyone...-ponzi-scheme/

Thanks
    Thanx for the debate guys

I now have a clearer picture of your concerns -

I must admit that I'm still not convinced on your interpretation of the "scam" part

I guess that is what makes the world such an interesting place - we all have different perspectives

I will be back when I have progressed further

Have an awesome day further

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave A View Post
    Never underestimate the ability to put their ethics on hold when there is an opportunity to make a quick buck, more so when there is a mob mentality and the slightest excuse provided by a 3rd party.
    There is basic human psychology at play.

Thanks
    Excuse all the typos, - I cannot seem to find an edit function to correct. Brain works faster than my fingers.

EDIT - new member status attained... will go back and tidy up.
    Last edited by mvubu; 08-Nov-13 at 04:37 PM.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by OnePilot View Post
    Thanx for the debate guys
    I must admit that I'm still not convinced on your interpretation of the "scam" part
    It is rare to have someone who has been sold on this programme who will actually listen to reason.

Do yourself a favour and just work out where your first revenue as a "premium" member comes from.
    If it comes from signing up other people below you as "premium" members, then you are involved in a pyramid scheme. There is no shades of gray here... the test is simple.

And here is the answer to your great scam review site:
    http://kschang.hubpages.com/hub/The-...them-NOT-Scams
    Last edited by mvubu; 11-Nov-13 at 10:44 AM.

Thanks
    I was also approached but I'm big on research which I did before committing, and since the last post in this thread, the following has transpired.

The Australian Competition and Consumer Commission (ACCC) has taken Lyoness to court for operating a ponzi scheme and the proceedings have been adjourned until February of next year (google: lyoness australia accc).

Lyoness was ripped to shreds on The Dragon's Den Canada (search youtube: lyoness dragons den canada). What I especially enjoyed was the "entrepreneur" vehemently denying that it was a pyramid scheme and one of the Dragons pushing the issue until he realised what she was doing (to which he was agreeing, mind you) was... well, you'll have to watch the vid to get the full gist of it. The poor man was squirming.

I'm not a rocket scientist but can clearly see this for what it is. I asked a ton of questions at a "closed meeting" which were met with either "uuuum" and then much straw grabbing or an outright "I'm not sure, I'll need to find out for you".

Once of those conversations went something like:

Q: "So, in order to use my Lyoness debit card I will need to transfer funds from my bank account into the Lyoness debit card, right?"
    A: "Yes."
    Q: "When I deposit my money - which bank account does it go into?"
    A: "I'm not quite sure."
    Q: "Lyoness' account maybe?"
    A "I'll need to find out for you."

After a day and a half of my friend trying to find an answer I eventually got this sms: Hi Sally, according to **** my upline, the Lyoness mastercard works with a 3rd party financial institution which is not a public bank (Std, ABSA, etc.)

And that was it. No name for the 3rd party financial institution, where its based - nothing. Not acceptable.

Apart from all the other unanswerable questions that I asked, the bottom line for me is that I'm being asked to put MY money into a bank account that no-one either has any clue about or is not prepared to divulge unless you're a premium member (at R20k a pop). Apparently there are some 60,000 current members in South Africa who are already members. All that money going into one account - the interest alone must be a sizeable enough egg nest for someone, somewhere.

To those of you who have invested, I don't know you therefore I don't judge you.

As for me? I have my own pyramid and it works very well for me. It goes something like this:

I am a boss (so I'm at the top).
    I have several employees (who are under me),
    We are all sub-contractors (therefore the clients are beneath myself and my employees).

Can you see the pyramid? But let me tell you how MY pyramid works - my employees get the lion's share of the hourly rate and I keep a small portion for myself - this is taking the MLM mind-set of leveraging other people's time but using it positively and for the good of ALL involved.

Lyoness - No sir, no thanks, not for me...

11. Thanks given for this post:

CLIVE-TRIANGLE (31-Oct-14)

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123