Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Website or facebook

Thanks
    They all work but it's the guy doing the cooking that makes the difference. The balance between each, complementing the different inputs and understanding how much weight to place where. The web is as powerful as it is diverse and the one thing that is still in short supply, that is missing, is that personal interface.

Quote Originally Posted by Blurock View Post
    ...... but preferably I would ask the neighbours for a recommendation.
    This is what we are looking for and don't get from Facebook, Linked In and even Google. And the question I always want to ask but am ignoring, is how relevant is mobi? Maybe I shouldn't. But how does one decide? And I believe the best policy is to wait for the dust to settle and then figure out what should, by then, be obvious.

A web site is an essential business tool and you have to make sure Google knows where to find you. But it is not a stand-alone solution. It is a fishing float that bobs on the water until you take your eye off it. Look at it as just some more sign writing that you have to do, a shop frontage. Keep it current, use it but temper your expectations and understand you want to get to a point where you do as little as possible as often as possible. Advertise in your papers and use your web site to say everything you don't want to pay for in print.

You would be crazy not to use Facebook but it's value is limited. It's a glorified dating site and you have to figure out how involved you get. Find that one in a thousand profile who has the personality to draw the audience you are looking for and hang on to their coat tails. Most of us don't do aimless banter well, so cut what you do, to what you do well and recognise that the chances are, that you are going to waste more time than you should. Linked In is better for business but once again I find it directionless and Twitter is beyond my reach.

What you want to do in your spare time, when you are waiting for clients to call, is to secure leads. Leads are the life blood of any business. They have a value. So whilst you are hustling for the business that will keep food on your table think about spreading your net a bit further. This is what the web allows you to do. Ask yourself who is in a position to feed you business referrals and whilst you are trawling for customers you can service, see if you can't hook a few for them. These you can use to trade. And if it works you might find that it becomes a career changer.

The web with all it's different twists and turns is as fascinating as it is challenging.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Call me old fashioned, but I still believe that business is built on service and relationships. If you are a shopkeeper, you need to get your customers to visit you as often as possible. If you are a service provider, you will have to follow up on your customers.

Visit your customers, talk to them directly, or by phone or e-mail if they are out of reach. Long term relationships are the result of interaction between people and is essential for repeat business.
    Excellence is not a skill; its an attitude...

3. Thanks given for this post:

KimH (06-Jul-13)

Suspended
    Thanks
    Hi Ians,
    You should join social media sites like twitter, LinkedIn, Facebook.. these sites are helpful for your business promoting.

Thanks
    Visit your customers, talk to them directly, or by phone or e-mail if they are out of reach. Long term relationships are the result of interaction between people and is essential for repeat business.
    I can't agree more

When I have some time on my hands after driving around to calls, I pop in by a client that is on the way to the office. I greet everybody, shake the bosses hand, find out how thing are going and see if they need anything, ask them if their machines are running as they should. This actually brings me lots of business and I retain clients.

In my humble opinion I don’t think that such questions are either or, its everything and a balance in-between. So think not of the question: Website OR face Book, think rather website and face book, and everything related, including face to face. If one method does not outweigh its effort in profit then drop it for now.
    I have found that pushing all the buttons works well.
    It is not the strongest of the species that survive, nor the most intelligent, but the one most responsive to change. – Charles Darwin

6. Thank given for this post:

Dave A (06-Jul-13), ians (10-Jul-17)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by pmbguy View Post
    In my humble opinion I don’t think that such questions are either or, its everything and a balance in-between. So think not of the question: Website OR face Book, think rather website and face book, and everything related, including face to face. If one method does not outweigh its effort in profit then drop it for now.
    I have found that pushing all the buttons works well.
    Drives me nuts every time someone trots out the "we taking our business online" excuse. The biggest problem one has trying to get the web to work is the perception people have of what it can do for them. It is just another tool. One of many we have to use.

8. Thank given for this post:

Dave A (06-Jul-13), ians (10-Jul-17)

Email problem
    Thanks
    i think most important thing is website than facebook.You show some of your sample work as portfolio and then promote your site on social networking site like facebook or twitter you will feel difference and change.By using social network you will get direct interact with your customers and other people so you will see positive change

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    I still have to meet the engineer or professional that will browse on Facebook to buy products. Facebook is kids stuff, meant for people who suffer from either "I miss my friends" or "look at me now" disorder. Serious business is not done on Facebook or twitter.

Thanks
    "I miss my friends" or "look at me now" disorder.
    You forgot FOMO (fear of missing out)
    "Nobody who has succeeded has not failed along the way"
    Arianna Huffington

Read the first 10% of my books "Didymus" and "The BEAST of BIKO BRIDGE" for free
    You can also read and download 100% free my short stories "A Real Surprise" and "Pieces of Eight" at
    http://www.smashwords.com/books/view/332256

Suspended
    Thanks
    Yes you are right in some aspects about Facebook. We have also found that FB does not produce quality candidates. The only time FB is pretty good (for us) is if we need people to do market research for a company for example. We have quite a lot of this where the Market research needs people to do mystery shopping for example whereby they wear a camera etc and go into five banks to apply for a loan. Then it does not matter who the people are, if they have a bad credit rating or not - they are purely doing the research for the banks head office to see how they bank employee treats the client.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by wynn View Post
    You forgot FOMO (fear of missing out)
    Yes, that is the scientific name.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast