Hi,

I had a credit card in 2008, last used and paid for in early 2009. I had no idea that there were fraudulent transactions taking place on it thereafter. 2 weeks ago i get a call from an Attorney's office working for the bank stating that i owe R32k on this credit card (Capital R8000, the remainder interest and fees). I was mortified. Upon investigating, i found these transactions and last payment date Feb 2009. I have never acknowledged debt either. However i noticed a fee for summons, sheriff, and judgement on the attorneys statement, but never received anything stating this nor have i seen anything on my credit reports.
I dont know if really these steps were taken since this attorney charges for EVERYTHING, even when i call them, or they send me a statement. So i dont know if the legal charges are valid.

Do you think i have a case for prescribed debt?

I have read a few articles of summons lapsing after a year if no legal proceedings taking place, and judgements being set aside if not used, but obviously this all depends on the current status of the legal proceedings. How do i find out since the attorney is not very helpful in giving me the legal details (eg. copies of summons or judgements).

Ultimately, what do i do?