Thread: Help! Wireman's licence woes!!!

Thanks

Help! Wireman's licence woes!!!

Hi, my husband qualified in Zimbabwe, has over 20 years working experience as an Electrician. We moved to SA after 10yrs in the UK and SAQA have certified his qualifications as an N4.

He would like to get his SA wiremans (3 phase) but really has not been given a straight answer by anyone. He registered for a 10wk course for units 1 and 2 (Saturdays only) but it really proved to be too much to handle!!!

I have been doing some reading and found something about him applying under Section 28 due to his experience? What would this entail? If it means he still has to write exams, can anyone recommend a course with a good reputation/pass rate in the West Rand?

Really need some advice!!!

Thanks in advance!

Thanks
    Thanked 2,676 Times in 2,257 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by TanyaH View Post
    He registered for a 10wk course for units 1 and 2 (Saturdays only) but it really proved to be too much to handle!!!
    Could you expand on what the difficulty with this actually is.

Thanks
    Thanks for moving the thread lol, had a blonde moment methinks!

He had an accident in 2010 (he was T-boned during world soccer by a guy from Cote D'Ivoir, severely concussed and had disc replacement surgery in his neck) and this has unfortunately, restricted his being able to do quite a bit of stuff, including studying for long periods of time. He never was much of a theoretical guy and has passed what he thought, was his trade for life only to be told pretty much, that no, your qualifications are not good enough! If he has to write units 1 and 2, he would need a course that gives more time for both units separately and not try to cram them both into 10 weeks!!!

Thanks
    Thanked 2,676 Times in 2,257 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by TanyaH View Post
    If he has to write units 1 and 2, he would need a course that gives more time for both units separately and not try to cram them both into 10 weeks!!!
    When it comes to exam time, unfortunately there's quite a bit of crossover in embedded knowledge between the two modules.

I'll be honest - there are some hurdles you can't just idle up to and jump over - you have to charge at them full tilt to make it over.
    And this is one of them.

It'll be an intense period, but realistically that's what it takes. Less than 3 months of effort that affects your entire future.

Thanks
    Yes I do understand, I guess what I don't understand is why not rather check from a practical side of things if he is on a par taking into consideration his years of experience?

Thanks for your replies Dave though, I do appreciate it. Do you know of anywhere he could go in the West?