Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: How to isolate an earth leakage problem

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyD View Post
    TBH I'm not sure why it would cause an RCD to trip, there's no current imbalance on the load side which is the criteria for tripping. I'd guess it's an anomaly with the internal electronics maybe.
    I think it has to do with reflected current flows in the E/N wires. All circuits connected to the council point on the E/N circuits are connected in parallel to all the different loads, however when there is a break on the council side supply line, as is the case described by ACEsterhuizen, and because of high current flows and inductance in these circuits, a pulse is injected into the neutral line towards the load side. THE RCD , by nature of its design, is to trip when there is an imbalance in the currents in the L and N circuits. When this pulse comes down the line, there is a mismatch between the L and N, and the RCD can not differentiate where the imbalance is coming from, source or load, and the mechanism then trips.
    Victor - Knowledge is a blessing or a curse, your current circumstances make you decide!
    Solar pumping, Solar Geyser & Solar Security lighting solutions - www.microsolve.co.za

2. Thanks given for this post:

ACEsterhuizen (25-Jan-16)

Bronze Member
    Thanks
    Hi Andy yes all is ok now thanks. and thank Justloadit I almost understand that.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    The pulse I am referring to is called EMF.
    Its the shock you get when you touch the coil contacts of a 12V relay, and disconnect the power to the coil, you feel a jolt. What happens is the inductance of the coil, because of the turns, causes a reverse voltage of several magnitudes greater then the supply in the opposite direction of the supply for a short duration of time. This is better seen when a relay contact breaks the current connection in a loaded circuit, and you see the spark across the contact points. This pulse is generated by the decaying magnetic field due to the loss of power, and depending on the current can be several hundreds of volts, in the case of a high voltage electrical system. The pulse in your application is propagated down the line through the ELB and discharges in the load Neutral to the earth of the equipment. The reason there is a flow of electricity is due to a capacitance between any 2 metals, the dielectric could be air, PVC or some other insulator.

This capacitance effect is noted when running long wires side by side, and one wire is connected to N and the other is through a switch to L. When you place the multi-meter across the open switch wire, you get a reading of 100+ volts. This voltage is flowing between your meter high impedance input, and the capacitance caused by the wire PVC. This is also known as floating voltage.
    Victor - Knowledge is a blessing or a curse, your current circumstances make you decide!
    Solar pumping, Solar Geyser & Solar Security lighting solutions - www.microsolve.co.za

5. Thanks given for this post:

ACEsterhuizen (02-Feb-16)

Thanks
    I've tried all this but ALL my plug circuits aren't working even though ALL breakers are up. Please help??

Thanks
    If all your circuit breakers are in the up position and there's no power at your sockets then it's not an earth leakage tripping problem. Possible a poor connection somewhere or even a faulty breaker but either way you'll need to get a sparky in woh has the test equipment to find the problem.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by LloydJ View Post
    I've tried all this but ALL my plug circuits aren't working even though ALL breakers are up. Please help??
    It sounds simple, but are you sure the breakers are up? I have often asked a client this and when I get to site I see it has tripped. Especially when the board is high it might appear as though it has not tripped because the lever does not come all the way down. Physically feel whether the breaker is up or half-way down(tripped). If all the plug circuits are dead there is no supply coming through the ELCB or to it.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345