Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Age an issue?

Thanks

Age an issue?

A client phoned me up on Monday night (never met before). He asked for a laser unit for his printer. His machine was down to its underpants, ready to go. I had a second hand laser ready for him. He arrived, a very polite gentleman, he looks around 65. Originally from GP and retired.
    I put the new laser in, printer works.
    He has very little experience with printers, but he understands almost every component down to its spec. It’s amazing what he knows. We ended up having a long long chat, it turns out he is an electrical engineer and inventor come mad scientist. He has a couple of projects going. A very animated man. He can build complicated electronic boards and gadgets from scratch, so he can definitely help me with regard to electrical components, I can outsource to him when things are above my spec. He seems fully in touch with tec. I am having some trouble with the guy I usually use for advanced electronics, he is very good, but he is too busy and can’t turn jobs quick enough.
    Personally I don’t care much for age when it comes to skill and ability, if the job is done well, it is done well. He was retrenched or something because of his age, it’s sad and stupid he is clearly passionate about what he does, and sharp as a fiddle.

What do you guy's think about age and employment?
    It is not the strongest of the species that survive, nor the most intelligent, but the one most responsive to change. – Charles Darwin

2. Thanks given for this post:

tec0 (17-May-13)

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Its all in the mind. You get old, worn out, over the hill ballies of 40 and then you get youngsters still inventing things at 70. You get real stupid university grads at 23 and bright 19 year olds who you just know will make the earth move.

Its the choices in life that make or break you. Decide at a young age whether you are going to be a builder or a breaker. Decide whether you are going to be a whinger or whether you are going to be in charge of your own destiny. Clever people never stop learning. Young people never retire...
    Excellence is not a skill; its an attitude...

4. Thanks given for this post:

adrianh (16-May-13)

Thanks
    The age thing is bogus, one of the guys who works with me is 75 (no lies) and he still climbs around in ceilings putting up lights and things. At the end of the day, you can see he has taken some strain, but his job is done spot-on, and he's back tomorrow for some more. Then I had a 19 yr old apprentice who wouldn't do anything until his pay was increased, and everything he did do (and I mean EVERYTHING) had to be redone by someone else, he didn't last long and never finished his apprenticeship, he begs for a few bucks a day down the road and he's now 22, what a waste.

What I find more and more, and I'm sure some will agree, the younger generation (not all) seem to want the big money and the Ferrari before they will put in the effort, whilst the older ones seem content with a comfortable salary and a VW.
    Today Defines Tomorrow
    Errare Humanum Est Remitto Divinus

Thanks
    Just talking for now, but he seems keen to come in and help out with graft. I have a feeling that it might work out well. I will pay him commission on machines. And we will go from there. I will teach him printers he will teach me to be a mad scientist. The more I think about it the more I like it. I can get a young techy later.
    It is not the strongest of the species that survive, nor the most intelligent, but the one most responsive to change. – Charles Darwin

Thanks
    But now the other aspect. When I train a young apprentice he/she can learn the ropes right from the beginning, possibly remain with me for a long time. I also want the opportunity to grow talent, in house. There are young talented people out there somewhere biting at the bit to work. The more I think about it I would rather start sooner than later.

My mind is in two 2 now

Thanks
    Do young apprentices stay around for a long time? I would think that one of the negatives of hiring young(er) people is that they have itchy feet. More money - different experience - moving to another city - more opportunities etc.

The more mature is more settled, knows what he wants, doesn't need to party too much, no need to prove anything stupid to anyone else - and may be more loyal.

As you said - you can always hire a techie later.
    No act of kindness, no matter how small, is ever wasted. - Aesop "The Lion and the Mouse"

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by pmbguy View Post
    But now the other aspect. When I train a young apprentice he/she can learn the ropes right from the beginning, possibly remain with me for a long time. I also want the opportunity to grow talent, in house. There are young talented people out there somewhere biting at the bit to work. The more I think about it I would rather start sooner than later.

My mind is in two 2 now
    I am all for training of new, young persons, but one needs to pay careful attention to their attitude, esp. future prospects, or you might end up spending on training and your efforts walk out the door as soon as a better prospect is available...
    Today Defines Tomorrow

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    I also know people like that. I don't care for age or there habits much. I see the person who they are and the promise of there amazing skills. This was actually the reason why I got so angry on one of the other threads... I agree with this don't judge a book by its cover. It is a well known fact that Albert Einstein's brain was youthful "even in his old age". I see this as a true gift... My one Lecturer is amazing he is 74 years old and he is one of the best!!! Honestly the man just knows his job and does it so well. And he is just one of the many examples. We have come to call the "the elderly at work" the grays... I say this with the utmost respect. There workmanship, skill and just pure knowledge is priceless.
    peace is a state of mind
    Disclaimer: everything written by me can be considered as fictional.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by tec0 View Post
    I also know people like that. I don't care for age or there habits much. I see the person who they are and the promise of there amazing skills. This was actually the reason why I got so angry on one of the other threads... I agree with this don't judge a book by its cover. It is a well known fact that Albert Einstein's brain was youthful "even in his old age". I see this as a true gift... My one Lecturer is amazing he is 74 years old and he is one of the best!!! Honestly the man just knows his job and does it so well. And he is just one of the many examples. We have come to call the "the elderly at work" the grays... I say this with the utmost respect. There workmanship, skill and just pure knowledge is priceless.
    Don't you also find that these older guys display a true passion for their jobs? It is something that I miss seeing in my newer staff, they just don't seem to be passionate about their tasks/jobs/skills, etc.
    Today Defines Tomorrow

Suspended
    Thanks
    I pretty much agree with Dave and Mike. But it also does depend on the job. Not everyone can do every job. For example, we have 6 ladies working in our JHB branch. They are all between the age of 25-30. They are absolutely dynamic, all good looking and the competition between them is awesome. Obviously the vibe in the office was originated from us, but that is exactly what we were looking for. And obviously they have to be managed properly. They will move on some day, some will think they can do this business at home and realize that it is not easy this way etc etc. But that is the situation, I am not sure if an older lady in the office as a consultant would change the dynamics, I think it would.......... But for now we are happy with the situation. We have had younger (21/22) which does NOT work, they are the ones stealing time, being on facebook and other clothing sites and taking the smoke breaks that we spoke about on another site. They are too immature and are not yet "settled" therefore we have found that the 25-30 seems to be the best propect.

But in the same aspect the knowledge that age brings in other jobs is invaluable and we would be silly not to benefit from this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast