Thread: Bypassing an muncipal electricity meter

Diamond Member
    Thanks

Bypassing an muncipal electricity meter

Busy with an interesting issue which I have never had to deal with before.

I did a COC for a house which is a total write off, I cut and disconnect literally the entire house, the purchaser bought the house for about a third of the property value if not less , and was advised accordingly.

Now months down the line I get a call from the new owner enquiring about bypassing the electricity meter, and instructed me that I must attend to the problem because I signed over the COC. Well I just laughed, yeah right you got to be kidding.

I informed the new owner that I have no authority to disconnect tor reconnect the meter, only the municipality metering department can break the seal and reseal the meter. In the case of a new installation I would install the meter in the location as illustrated on the application form and leave tails for the municipality to connect and seal. In the case of a relocation I would have to send a in an application for them to disconnect and reconnect, supply a new meter box with tails etc ready for them.

The COC has absolutely nothing to do with the metering and I cannot be held liable for any issue the new or old owner have with regards to someone bypassing a meter, in fact 90 % of the time I don't even open the meter box and if there is no power I merely state on the COC that there was no power at the time of test and therefore could not complete all the test results.

Silver Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ians View Post
    Busy with an interesting issue which I have never had to deal with before.

I did a COC for a house which is a total write off, I cut and disconnect literally the entire house, the purchaser bought the house for about a third of the property value if not less , and was advised accordingly.

Now months down the line I get a call from the new owner enquiring about bypassing the electricity meter, and instructed me that I must attend to the problem because I signed over the COC. Well I just laughed, yeah right you got to be kidding.

I informed the new owner that I have no authority to disconnect tor reconnect the meter, only the municipality metering department can break the seal and reseal the meter. In the case of a new installation I would install the meter in the location as illustrated on the application form and leave tails for the municipality to connect and seal. In the case of a relocation I would have to send a in an application for them to disconnect and reconnect, supply a new meter box with tails etc ready for them.

The COC has absolutely nothing to do with the metering and I cannot be held liable for any issue the new or old owner have with regards to someone bypassing a meter, in fact 90 % of the time I don't even open the meter box and if there is no power I merely state on the COC that there was no power at the time of test and therefore could not complete all the test results.
    I agree with you 100%
    To make a mistake is human, to learn from that mistake is knowledge and knowledge is strength.

Thanks
    For pure educational purposes, how would one go about bypassing such a meter?
    ~Expenses will eat you alive! - My first Boss~

Diamond Member
    Thanks
    There are a variety of methods, some things are better not shared on public forums.

Thanks
    I had a young guy with municipal identity come and check my prepaid meter the other day.
    he switched off all the circuits except for the lights, punched a code into the meter and the lights went off and on again, I don't know what that proved but he seemed to be satisfied.
    If I was skelleming the juice I would only bypass the stove and geysers and he never tested that? Probably because the geyser is on 'ripple relay' and it would complicate his test?
    "Nobody who has succeeded has not failed along the way"
    Arianna Huffington

Read the first 10% of my books "Didymus" and "The BEAST of BIKO BRIDGE" for free
    You can also read and download 100% free my short stories "A Real Surprise" and "Pieces of Eight" at
    http://www.smashwords.com/books/view/332256

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Now what if you had a UPS backing up your light circuits in the event of a power failure?
    He would then be really confused
    Victor - Knowledge is a blessing or a curse, your current circumstances make you decide!
    Solar pumping, Solar Geyser & Solar Security lighting solutions - www.microsolve.co.za

Bronze Member
    Thanks
    The funniest thing I've seen with a prepaid meter is that it's pluged in so you can just plug it out or in.
    But would a loop impedance test damage a prepaid meter when testing

Diamond Member
    Thanks
    I have never heard of a loop impedance test damaging a pre paid meter, but hey stranger things have happened.