Thread: Qualifications for Installation of a geyser

Thanks

Qualifications for Installation of a geyser

Hi
    I have received conflicting information regarding who can fit and wire up a replacement geyser in a house. ie if your geyser bursts and it requires replacing, can a plumber do the whole installation including the wiring, or does one need an electrician to attend to the electrics.

The understanding is that a plumber can work from the isolator at the geyser to the geyser without an electrician required to be present.

Anyone with knowledge of the regulations I would appreciate some insight.

Silver Member
    Thanks
    Earlier this week, my geyser was replaced by a qualified plumber. My layman understanding is that he disconnected the old geyser at the geyser point, and reconnected the new one after installing.

No electrician was present.

Thanks
    as a qualified plumber myself, i have installed many geysers & done the electrical part myself
    esp when the new geyser is being installed in the same place as the old one- its not difficult/tricky

all i do is switch off the geyser at the isolator or in some cases, the mains and then disconnect the wires connected to the geyser, making sure to remember/note down exactly how it was installed-then i connect it back the same way onto the new geyser
    so far, no problems

yes, when its a completely new installation, then i tell the owner to get an electrician to handle that part.
    A “conspiracy theory” no longer means an event explained by a conspiracy. Instead, it now means any explanation, or even a fact, that is out of step with the government’s explanation and that of its media pimps.

Thanks
    Thanks for the feedback.
    I am working on a project that will involve the fitting of a timing device to the geyser mains supply. It will be fitted between the isolator and the geyser itself. It is a simple wiring between from the isolator to the device (Live and Neutral) and device to Geyser terminals.
    My concern is with the legislative requirements of such an installation and if it is fitted, would a new Certificate of Compliance need to be issued for the home?

Email problem
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by pbromley View Post
    It is a simple wiring between from the isolator to the device (Live and Neutral) and device to Geyser terminals.
    You are forgetting about the bonding, probably the most important part.
    There is nothing like 'holding' onto a live tap.
    All electrical work must be done by a licensed electrician, then tested and a COC issued, even to change a plug.

There is legislation underway that will allow suitably trained and qualified plumbers to do the electrical connection to a geyser. You should keep in touch with the PIRB as to when and how you can do the training and get certified.

Thanks
    Whichever way you decide to go, make sure you keep your paperwork for the geyser warranty. Kwikot (depends uopon whom you talk to there...), will NOT honor warranties if not fitted by certified plumber/electrician. However there seems to be no set policy on this.

Thanks
    Thanks, I will contact PIRB and IOPSA and clarify the regulations.

Bronze Member
    Thanks
    Hi, a coc would be required if the installation it is connected to complies with sans 10142 and if there is an existing coc for the hole house. A coc should be done for any alterations. I always put my own label over the cover of the element and right the date I was at the geyser and take photos when I do a coc cause if someone would come and do work on the element or something and don't issue a coc for it my coc would no longer be valid. That's one way electricians can cover their ass

Thanks
    Thanks, very good point.