Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Reasons to be Happy in SA :)

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by HR Solutions View Post
    Blurock I don't quite agree with you on this one. SA is not the most expensive in most items, but not sure if you are talking about MTN tho. When travelling in Europe you can easy pay R60 for a cup of coffee, R25 to go for a leak, R100 to walk in a park, R100 to catch a train or tube etc etc. Most of the times SA prices are quite reasonable.
    We are talking cell phones here. Do your homework;South Africa has the most expensive phone systems in the world!
    Excellence is not a skill; its an attitude...

Suspended
    Thanks
    Blurock not going to argue because this is a "reason to be happy" about SA thread and I think we both misread what we were both saying

Diamond Member
    Thanks
    Well, I'll say this much. There is a site on Facebook devoted to the old South Africa. Those guys make out as if that time was perfect, happy and wonderful and that the country is now horrible and worthless. I get the distinct feeling that I must have lived on another planet before '94 because I clearly remember have a k@k time in the k@k army and lots of people of colour that weren't so happy.

I think those people need to stop deluding themselves and see the past through the eyes of others.

4. Thank given for this post:

Blurock (09-Jun-13), ians (09-Jun-13)

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Like in any country around the world, one may always find something to bitch about if you want to. One of my pet hates is the international cell phone companies and some other corporates ripping us off. We have the right to question their money grabbing motives and we have the right to try to fix things so that we can get closer to Utopia. (Which may never happen, but we'll try nevertheless).

Fortunately there are a lot of positive people that see a cup half full and not a half empty. There are still much more positives than negatives.

I was fortunate to attend a meeting with the ambassador of Iraq this week. He explained the misconceptions about his country and how tolerant and peaceful the Iraqis really are, despite all the bad news depicting the opposite.

The Ambassador also told of his initial fear to come to South Africa, having lived in London prior to coming here. Because of all the negative publicity, he was scared that he might be hijacked between the airport and his residence. He was pleasantly surprised by the friendly hospitality of the South African people in general and fell in love with our beautiful country. He now realises that the crime and all the bad publicity is not as bad as the sensationalism by the international press.

Apparently he has started a facebook page to upload photographs of South Africa and is now said to be the ambassador who promotes his host country more than his own.
    Excellence is not a skill; its an attitude...

Diamond Member
    Thanks
    That's just the problem, there are "few" who are giving the country a bad name and the majority who want for a better safer place. The trick is to figure out how to get rid of the few, putting them all in jail is just wasting hard earned tax money.

I believe there is huge potential for this country, they need to let everyone help build it and not restrict us from helping, by imposing stupid laws, rather 5 million employed earning a small wage than 5 million looking for an easy way out, you know what I am talking about.

The fact that I am training my 4 year old to release herself from her car and removed the kiddie lock from the door so she can jump out, if a friendly puts a gun to my wife's head while stopped at a robot, is bad indication of the state of the crime. The other option is to remove the car seat and take our chances with an accident. Here is a scary stat, we have had 3 hijacking in our road in the past 6 months (that I know of) 2 people shot dead, 1 accident, zero people injured.

So what do I do rather have her free to jump out the car or strapped in and hope she can get out if they are hijacked.

Diamond Member
    Thanks
    I have an idea how about one build an rf device that can disable the car. So, you carry a small transmitter. The car has a fuel cut out. When you are visible to the car and you unlock the car and turn the ignition the fuel cut out is open. You have this circuit arm itself each time the car stops (as a safety measure so that it can't f..out while you are driving. Now, if you leave the car with the little rf id device on you and it is no longer visible to the car then the cutout shuts down the fuel supply after say 5 - 10 seconds giving you a bit of distance. If the fuel cut out armed itself say without the car having been locked then you have to go to the car, lock it and unlock it and turn the ignition to reset the device (that way you will not open the valve merely by going back to the car.

I think that the trick is to disable the car while you can still see it but to do it at such a distance that they are far enough away not to try and get you and they can just pi$$ off.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456