Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Would you hire two friends?

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    I think this discussion has gone in just about the direction I expected it to go. Thanks for all the replies so far.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike C View Post
    Hiring two people who are best friends would be no issue in a big company. I think that in a small business it could have the potential of creating a "power group" if they decide to gang up on management on a few issues. For example: Best friends might share their remuneration packages with each other and cause hassles if they think that the one is being favoured above another.

As long as ground rules (as recommended by HR Solutions) are in place before any hiring is done, and any warning signs are dealt with immediately - things should be ok.
    That pretty much sums up my feelings on the matter. The problem comes in the form of me not being able to participate in the day-to-day running of the business from next year onward. My partner is a little less assertive and I think might be a little overwhelmed by what could turn into a power group, so to speak.

While both employees are talented, I wouldn't want my current team to feel like control of the business they've worked so hard on developing has been so easily transferred to two new guys. This is a real threat only because A: it's a small team and B: we work in a creative field where the two new employees will play a pretty important part in each job.

Quote Originally Posted by Hermes14
    I don't see anything wrong with them being friends if it is still your company & you will be managing it.
    See above.

Quote Originally Posted by Hermes14
    Get yourself a few books on management & human relations
    I'm actually a huge fan of Rand Fishkin's management style together with his hiring policy and company culture. These are embodied in what SEOMoz calls the TAGFEE Tenets - very interesting for those of you who are interested in that sort of management style. Rand is possibly the most respected SEO guy in the world at the moment. He gets my respect not only for his inbound marketing talents, but for his management style and what is actually a fantastic grassroots story of his rise to success.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    It's better to hire friends. Especially if their work is of a similar nature.

The advantages which is established team work outweighs the disadvantages.

In the end you want a team, that takes initiative, and works together... Not a bunch of slaves who have to be whipped to work and who spend 90% of their time securing their job from their political rivals (their colleges) and 10% on work.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12