This morning I was listening to Jeff Radebe on SABC2 discussing the upcoming ANC policy meeting. He was talking about the need for more intervention from the state.

He stated that under the ANC we already were an interventionist state, but needed to become even more aggressive in taking action.

The motivation? Well now, that's where it got really interesting. Because apparently, despite our wonderful economic boom, the gap between the haves and the have-nots has widened.

As per usual, in the face of such a boldly positioned statement, a few thoughts came to mind.

First off, when has this gap widened? Pretty recently it seems. In fact, the more meddlesome the government has got, the wider that gap has got. Curious coincidence?

Another thought. The gap may have widened, but I'm pretty sure the haves have changed - At least, judging by the average shade of Merc, BMW, Lexus and top-of-the-range Sang Yong driver nowadays.

I'm starting to wonder if the state has not intervened enough already in some parts of the economic spectrum and spend a little more time (and money) where it might make a lasting and meaningful difference to the poor. Primary health and education.

And perhaps it's only curious coincidence too that these are the two sectors at the forefront of the civil service strike.