Thread: Test Instruments

Thanks

Question Test Instruments

I am looking for an old insulation tester "megger" a 1000 volt one the crank handle type does anyone know of any that are available

Thanks
    When you say you're looking for an old one are you after a vintage second had one or a new one that's in the style of the old type?

If you're after a new one then try here (top of page 267).

Name:  3.jpg
Views: 699
Size:  9.0 KB

If you're after an old one then I guess this or this might be your best bet.

I picked up these two beauties for a steal of a price a few months ago

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1.jpg 
Views:	306 
Size:	87.7 KB 
ID:	3479

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2.jpg 
Views:	359 
Size:	73.2 KB 
ID:	3480

Thanks
    Thanks Dave I am looking for a robust crankhandle type. I bet the older ones are more accurate and reliable than most of the modern ones that are on the market to-day.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by mikilianis View Post
    Thanks Dave...
    Lol, you're welcome

I'm not sure why you'd want a megger with a winding handle for everyday use, I have one in my workshop that gets used from time to time but they're a bit of a pain on site where there's not always a decent surface to rest it on. If you've got to hold it and wind at the same time it's not an easy operation and to be honest they're not more accurate than the modern ones. Especially with the old ones they need to be level to be accurate, some of them even have a built in spirit level so it really is quite critical to have it perfectly still and perfectly level. I'd go for a battery operated analogue type like this one which is not too badly priced at under R2K and a good option for a general use instrument.

I far prefer analogue because they're less prone to giving meaningless readings when test conditions are less than idea plus they're easier to interpret an alternating or unsteady reading etc. The only time I'd go for digital over analogue is for a clamp meter where it's nice to see the result to 2 decimal places which helps detect slow upward or downward trends.

Thanks
    Hi AndyD
    I wanted a crank handle 1000 Volt meggar perhaps because I was trained to use and used that type when I was an apprentice. The readings you got from the instrument were taken for granted, no arguments if your readings were of a certain value that was it. Nowadays you have a multitude of instruments and their readings differ, which can create confusion it does happen believe me. I wish to purchase a inexpensive reliable 1000Volt analogue instrument I have had a Top Tronic T1832 which I found to be a reliable robust instrument (sadly developed legs). I have also purchased a Major Tech MT500 1000Volt analogue instrument which in my opinion is an absolute waste of money. One of the instruments that you recommend the Major Tech K3132 is favourable ,so too is the TopTronic T3132.Six of one and half a dozen of the other. I will make enquiries and see which is the better of the two.

Thanks
    Yeah, I'm all for not throwing technology at things unnecessarily but even I wouldn't go with a crank handle megger for everyday use. Another issue with that type of instrument is that the testing voltage varies wildly depending how fast you crank it. In the old days it didn't matter but nowadays with IT equipment in most premises you need a low voltage test option (250v) and you need to know that the voltage is accurate because surge arrestors and spike suppressors in many appliances start dumping to ground at 275 volts and upward and your L-E and N-E insulation test becomes meaningess if this happens.

I like the Major Tech because it's a rebranded Kyoritsu (see here) which I've always been a fan of, plus obviously it's on offer so to me it would be the one to go for.

Diamond Member
    Thanks
    I have always been a fluke fan, but I am with Andy, if I choose any other brand it is kyoritsu.

Silver Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyD View Post
    Yeah, I'm all for not throwing technology at things unnecessarily but even I wouldn't go with a crank handle megger for everyday use. Another issue with that type of instrument is that the testing voltage varies wildly depending how fast you crank it. In the old days it didn't matter but nowadays with IT equipment in most premises you need a low voltage test option (250v) and you need to know that the voltage is accurate because surge arrestors and spike suppressors in many appliances start dumping to ground at 275 volts and upward and your L-E and N-E insulation test becomes meaningess if this happens.

I like the Major Tech because it's a rebranded Kyoritsu (see here) which I've always been a fan of, plus obviously it's on offer so to me it would be the one to go for.
    I use the Kyoritsu KEW 6015, excellent machine.
    To make a mistake is human, to learn from that mistake is knowledge and knowledge is strength.

Thanks
    Hi Leecatt impressive but would I have to sell my house to purchase one in ZAR probably cheaper to buy it overseas

Silver Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by mikilianis View Post
    Hi Leecatt impressive but would I have to sell my house to purchase one in ZAR probably cheaper to buy it overseas
    Not sure, when I got mine they were about 18K, now i believe they down to about 12K. Had mine about 11 years now
    To make a mistake is human, to learn from that mistake is knowledge and knowledge is strength.