If I decide to open and account with a company, with lets say a credit limit of lets say R5000, I fill out all the documentation and the company accepts the application, does credit checks on me to find that I have a bad credit history, but they still accept the application form and notify me that I can purchase for the amount agreed on the application. We do business for a couple years then one day the company I am dealing goes through some rough patches so they look for investors, the company goes through some changes, and during this process my account runs into the tens of thousands, so my account is put on hold, we agree on a sum that I pay, R30 000, but when I arrive the following day, I am told my account is still on hold and they don't want to do business with me any longer until I pay the full amount, I have committed to a project and need the balance goods to complete the project.

Just to put a spanner in the works, they quoted for the goods but when I was awarded the project I was told by the company that because the salesman who quoted for the goods is no longer working at the counter, the quote is no longer valid and the prices they charged me for the goods was marginally higher. So I had to shop around for the goods and pay cash up front, which caused a major cash flow problem in my business.

Now a couple months down the line a lawyer has sent me a registered letter demanding the outstanding money, which totals a lot more than the credit application.

What would the customer protection act say about this?

By the way I am paying the account I just thought it would be an interesting topic to discuss.