1. Around 65% of cars on SA roads are UNINSURED totally. So do NOT think, because you are a good driver, you need not insure, as "the other driver will pay when they are at fault".
2. NEVER drive an uninsured car. If it is an "old knocker" worth NOTHING, carry at LEAST Third Party cover - at most +- R700 a year premium.
3. If you are insured, and you have a TINY ding with another vehicle, with NO visible damage to EITHER vehicle, PUT IN A CLAIM "FOR ADVICE PURPOSES ONLY" with your insurer. This is an unbreakable rule.
4. If you decide NOT to put in a "for advice purposes only" claim, re-read rule 3. Then do it. Without fail.
5. If you are insured, and you are hit by a Third Party who says you should claim from their Insurer: do NOT. NEVER EVER. Claim from YOUR insurer, and then let THEM recover your loss.
6. 3. and 5. are unbreakable rules. And I do NOT say that lightly!