Thread: Negative Power Factor

Thanks

Negative Power Factor

Hello

Can anyone please assist me,
    Am instructed to install a power factor correction banks for a certain DB, The reading from that panel are;

kW -31.3
    kVA 49.2
    kVAR 38.1
    PF -0.63
    Amps L1 70A
    L2 73A
    L3 72A
    My question is: Why is the power factor negative, even the real power is negative

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	26032013494.jpg 
Views:	308 
Size:	36.8 KB 
ID:	3431

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Sounds like an incorrect connection to your instruments, usually the current transformer is either inverted, in other words invert and reconnect, or alternatively you have the CTs on the incorrect phases with respect to the voltage measurement probes.
    Victor - Knowledge is a blessing or a curse, your current circumstances make you decide!
    Solar pumping, Solar Geyser & Solar Security lighting solutions - www.microsolve.co.za

Diamond Member
    Thanks
    Fluke 434 or 435, assuming it is a 435 because I don't think the 434 has energy capabilities.

How long have you been using it?

Do you understand how to set it up, and do you use the vector diagram to set it up to make sure the leads and clamps are connected correctly?

Have you configured the meter correctly.

Do you understand the difference between an inductive load and a capacitive load?

The meter is indicating that it is a capacitive load.

The reason I ask all these questions, is to understand how much you know about this meter. It took me 3 years to understand my 435, and most of the mistakes I made in the beginning were due to incorrect connections or parameter settings, no thanks to fluke SA.

Thanks
    Your load is certainly well ballanced. What type of load is it?

Thanks
    Its a Fluke 435, this will be my third time using it. My first and second time worked very well.
    The meter comes with the leads clearly marked voltage inputs(E,N,R,W,B) and current inputs(N,R,W,B with arrow for current flows)

Once I have connected all the leads, I switch on the meter > go to menu > then Logger > I then clear out the logging from the memory and rename > Adjust the duration of logging I always set it for 1 week and then I start.

Is that right?

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Justloadit View Post
    Sounds like an incorrect connection to your instruments, usually the current transformer is either inverted, in other words invert and reconnect, or alternatively you have the CTs on the incorrect phases with respect to the voltage measurement probes.
    In will go check again today. You might be right

Diamond Member
    Thanks
    You need to setup the parameters in the meter to what you want to achieve, then connect your leads, making sure they are correct by using the vector diagram which if setup correctly the outside arrow will be facing the correct direction, the current and voltage arrows in the correct position, then you are ready to start logging.

A capacitive load indicated on the screen would mean you have way to much power factor correction or there is something wrong with the setup of the meter or connections.

When I started using the fluke 435 for fault finding in 2006, I thought it would be like using my 86 or 189 or 289, connect and look at the screen, the 435 is a complex piece of equipment and requires hours of training to set it up to use it correctly to achieve optimum results. It took me about 2 years to understand the meter then another 3 years to understand the results once downloaded (learnt by downloading and reading info and watching online seminars). At the time I purchased my unit not even the people who sold me the meter knew how to set it up. I do believe comtest have managed to educate their staff and make them a little more competent with using the 435.