Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Good Open Source Alternative for Paid Software, that are Free.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Upstairs View Post
    Just have to figure out how to make a Vodacom dongle work in linux...
    I've actually got some strange experience with internet connections: A few years ago (around 5 or 6) I was using my Nokia E65 as my internet connection. On windows I had to install the drivers, on Ubuntu it didn't need any drivers - plugged it in and Ubuntu recognized an internet connect device, no settings whatsoever (just click the connect message and it was done).

Now with an Android phone it's not working on either Windows/Linux through the USB cable. Have to install drivers in both cases. Fortunately though the Android does come with a Wi-Fi-HotSpot, but you need to plug it into charge otherwise the battery dies within an hour while the WiFi is running.

Do you know the true make/model of that Vodacom Dongle? It's usually some Hauwei device. I know Hauwei E220 works on Debian with some tweaks. Basically it seems you have to tell Linux not to tread it as a mass storage device, then it starts to recognise it as a communications device instead.

If your dongle is the new K4305, then from the original branders (VodaFone) the manual actually lists Ubuntu as one of the supported OS's: http://www.business.vodafone.com/sit...stick_2row.jsp
    Gold is the money of kings; silver is the money of gentlemen; barter is the money of peasants; but debt is the money of slaves. - Norm Franz
    And central banks are the slave clearing houses

Thanks
    Just wanted to mention, a good 3D free application for all you interior decorators and construction developers is a package called sketchup which is available at http://www.sketchup.com/intl/en/download/index.html

Even a non-constructional person like myself can use it and they have training videos available for download in order to get you started.

With regards to the 3G modem problem, I am experiencing the same on Debian but I know it is because Debian is seeing my modem as a USB-Storage device rather than as a COM's device. That is why I prefer Slackware - lol. I know this problem existed in Windows Vista as well and you had to remove and uninstall the picked up device before it would configure it as a modem. Was quite a painful experience.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by chris_kzn View Post
    With regards to the 3G modem problem, I am experiencing the same on Debian but I know it is because Debian is seeing my modem as a USB-Storage device rather than as a COM's device. That is why I prefer Slackware - lol. I know this problem existed in Windows Vista as well and you had to remove and uninstall the picked up device before it would configure it as a modem. Was quite a painful experience.
    Yes, the link in my previous post as well as that in Upstairs's post show how to disengage the storage device so the comms device can be used.
    As for SketchUp, I know of it, used it before - in some respects I find it easier to model in it than most other 3D creation programs (though these days I'm using Revit at work - around R45k per license!!!! ). It used to be something which Google had bought from another company. They've since sold it. There's a free version with decent capabilities, but the paid-for version does provide more. Unfortunately though, it's only available on Windows. For those looking for a decent CAD for free, try something like nanoCAD - unfortunately also only on Windows. The only CAD I know which is even approaching decent on Linux is BricsCAD, though it's not free (a lot cheaper than AutoCAD around 1/10th the price, and about the same capabilities as a 2008 version of ACad, uses the same file format as a 2013 version).
    Gold is the money of kings; silver is the money of gentlemen; barter is the money of peasants; but debt is the money of slaves. - Norm Franz
    And central banks are the slave clearing houses

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123