Thread: Eye icon on password

Diamond Member
    Thanks

Eye icon on password

Went to log in yesterday, onto my Standard bank account and I noticed that there was a x on the right hand side of the card, which I clicked on and it removed the numbers, I don't have a problem with that, however I did have a problem with the eye on the right hand side of the pin and password, is this a new feature from Standard bank? I will contact them later when I get a chance to verify.

I also noted that all my threads, not only on this forum but other do auto spell check.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ians View Post
    Went to log in yesterday, onto my Standard bank account and I noticed that there was a x on the right hand side of the card, which I clicked on and it removed the numbers, I don't have a problem with that, however I did have a problem with the eye on the right hand side of the pin and password, is this a new feature from Standard bank? I will contact them later when I get a chance to verify.

I also noted that all my threads, not only on this forum but other do auto spell check.
    eye icon in windows8 25 down vote

The new 'eye' symbol is present in all the password fields on Windows 8. This is new in Windows 8. To reveal the password, the user need to keep the 'eye' symbol pressed.

Please note that to do the following, you will need to access the Local Group Policy Editor, which is only available in Windows 8 Pro. You can see if you have Windows 8 Pro by pressing Win+Pause, which opens the System Properties window. If under "Windows Edition" you see Windows 8 Pro, you will be able to access the Group Policy Editor.

Diamond Member
    Thanks
    This could get interesting in a office environment where there are lots of people working and networks, where the IT personal are monitoring your PC, or where you have PC assist where an external company helps fix your computer from a different location and see what you on your screen.

By the way I am running windows 7 and both this feature and spell check has suddenly appeared since the latest updates.

This policy setting requires the user to enter Microsoft Windows credentials using a trusted path, to prevent a Trojan horse or other types of malicious code from stealing the user’s Windows credentials.

Note: This policy affects nonlogon authentication tasks only. As a security best practice, this policy should be enabled.

If you enable this policy setting, users will be required to enter Windows credentials on the Secure Desktop by means of the trusted path mechanism.

If you disable or do not configure this policy setting, users will enter Windows credentials within the user’s desktop session, potentially allowing malicious code access to the user’s Windows credentials.
    Last edited by ians; 25-Mar-13 at 12:03 PM.

Thanks
    I'm still undecided on whether this is a good or terrible idea. I'm not entirely sure as to whether being able to see the mistaken character (and all the security problems that come with other people being able to see) is worth it over just having to type in the password again.