Thread: callout charge

Diamond Member
    Thanks

callout charge

I completed a project about a month ago and had to use Crabtree products, now i am getting called out to replace faulty swiches. I personally went around and checked every single switch to make sure there was a positive click when i operated the switch. The first switch went faulty while still working on site, so i replaced it, but there have been 2 additional switches which had to be replaced. I was told by Crabtree that they will gladly replace the switch, but i must return the faulty switch to their offices in Westmead or buy replacement switches from a wholesaler, then return the switches and get a credit.

What if i decided i dont want to replace the switches because the switch was working when i fitted the switch and it is not my workmanship which has caused the switch to go faulty.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,676 Times in 2,257 Posts
    Blog Entries
    You could invoke the CPA if you qualify (turnover under R2 million per annum or assets less than R2 million). In terms of the CPA, despite any supplier claims to the contrary you can claim consequential damages from your supplier as well as the replacement switches they're prepared to offer. The tough part would be filing the complaint with the National Consumer Commission right now - I see their website is down. And then even once filed, there is the issue of when (or if) they would get around to actually processing the complaint.

Same applies to your customer who could file a complaint against you, except given that it's your supplier's product that has gone faulty, it becomes a chase up the supply chain situation.

The problem is there's no way I'm aware of other than via the NCC that your client's claim could end up being your supplier's direct responsibility - and if your client has to sit and wait for this to be thrashed out by the NCC, I expect it'll be you they'll be hating.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ians View Post
    What if i decided i dont want to replace the switches because the switch was working when i fitted the switch and it is not my workmanship which has caused the switch to go faulty.
    What did the client ask for, or was it your decision to use crabtree?
    Excellence is not a skill; its an attitude...

Diamond Member
    Thanks
    The customer specified what he wanted, a black switch with a galvernised cover, no other company offers a black switch with a metal cover, only crabtree. I was dead against it, i stopped using crabtree products 13 years ago, due to the fail rate. My slogan on my vehicle is " doing it right first time everytime" i cannot afford to use product which fail due to whatever reason, I was assured by the mangement at Aberdare cables - Crabtree that this is an isolated incident and that they havent had a a switch fail or reports of failures since the problem with the arcing in the switches.

He did indicate that i could return the switches which he would make available at their offices in Westmead and exchange them free of charge. The problem is the premises where the switches are failing is in La Lucia, go figue callout fee + travelling, someone is loosing around R1000 everytime the switch fails.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    What a bummer! I suppose claims against Crabtree will not be entertained either.
    Excellence is not a skill; its an attitude...

Thanks
    Ian, in future when when the client insists on or specifies an item you do not recommend say that you will fix any faults under normal conditions and for fittings you recommend free of charge, but for fittings specified that you do not recommend there will be a charge of xxx for any call out depending on how far the job is.
    "Nobody who has succeeded has not failed along the way"
    Arianna Huffington

Read the first 10% of my books "Didymus" and "The BEAST of BIKO BRIDGE" for free
    You can also read and download 100% free my short stories "A Real Surprise" and "Pieces of Eight" at
    http://www.smashwords.com/books/view/332256

Diamond Member
    Thanks
    Something interesting, today i ask the saleman at the wholesaler about faulty crabtree switches, his reply " we dont sell that many, so i cant give you an accurate answer" In fact they sell very few, it could be why they have to join Aberdare cables.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave A View Post
    You could invoke the CPA if you qualify (turnover under R2 million per annum or assets less than R2 million). In terms of the CPA, despite any supplier claims to the contrary you can claim consequential damages from your supplier as well as the replacement switches they're prepared to offer. The tough part would be filing the complaint with the National Consumer Commission right now - I see their website is down. And then even once filed, there is the issue of when (or if) they would get around to actually processing the complaint.

Same applies to your customer who could file a complaint against you, except given that it's your supplier's product that has gone faulty, it becomes a chase up the supply chain situation.

The problem is there's no way I'm aware of other than via the NCC that your client's claim could end up being your supplier's direct responsibility - and if your client has to sit and wait for this to be thrashed out by the NCC, I expect it'll be you they'll be hating.
    Not an option. Same ol' same ol' DOL story. The idiots cannot even understand plain english. MTN illegal contracts reported beginning last year. After pointing out they not adressing the actual complaint they ceased communication.