Thread: Router purchase

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Well for me the best power tool makers are;

AEG
    Dewalt
    Makita
    Metabo

Any one of them is well worth the investment.
    peace is a state of mind
    Disclaimer: everything written by me can be considered as fictional.

Thanks
    Ian can't you get them to show you it working while in the shop? Then see if the same failure happens there?
    If it was me I would ask for the money back.
    Only stress when you can change the outcome!

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ians View Post
    Just for the record this is a wood router for carpentry.

Today i call the distributor to enquire about the machine, i am told the machine is ready for collection. I arrive to collect the machine and request a report, they give me an invoice with a nill balance, so i ask what they found wrong, i am told there is nothing wrong with the machine, they have totally stripped and physically checked every single wire and component on the machine and it is fine.
    Why do we not name these guys who give bad service? Why should they stay anonymous if they are too lazy to pay attention to detail? But be consistent and also report good service.
    Excellence is not a skill; its an attitude...

Diamond Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by IanF View Post
    Ian can't you get them to show you it working while in the shop? Then see if the same failure happens there?
    If it was me I would ask for the money back.
    Time...i am very busy at work and as i mentioned it would actually pay me to just dump the machine and buy a new.

Diamond Member
    Thanks
    Got a call from the company today to inform me the router is ready, collected, but havent had a chance to test.

Switch has been replaced and the speed controller, maybe 3 rd time lucky and only about 2 weeks of lost production if the machine was on the line.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    This type of fault, is a bitch to correct. If you can not identify the fault in the workshop, then it becomes a night mare, and to correct is to play it by the numbers. the only solution is to replace one item at a time. Unfortunately in this situation, it is a brand new machine, and does not warrant that the customer has to go through the heart ache of accepting the time required to figure it out. My feeling is that they should have issued a new unit, and then taken the time to find the problem. Once found, correct it, and then sell the unit as a demo price with a marked down price. The loss of the replacement would be minimal, but would have boosted customer relations.

There is no better advertising than by word of mouth.
    Victor - Knowledge is a blessing or a curse, your current circumstances make you decide!
    Solar pumping, Solar Geyser & Solar Security lighting solutions - www.microsolve.co.za

Thanks
    You said "it's quite sad considering there is supposed to be quality control checks before the product leaves the factory". There probably are the required checks but as is normally the case, worldwide, only a few out of each batch of most things today are checked randomly and based on the law of probabilities, if say 5 out of 100 are 'OK' then it is assumed that the other 95 are also 'OK'. It's just unfortunate that you may have got one of the 95. Because of various factors eg production targets, costs of production and of course quality of the raw materials to begin with, a lot of the stuff you buy now might have the German logo, look like the German product and have a manual with 56 different languages but in reality, the product is Chinese, made under licence. If you look at practically every brand of cellphone today, even the all all time favourites, the RIM Blackberry and Apple, the battery is Chinese and wrt the rest of the phone it probably says "assembled in China". I think one of the few true German electric tools / products still made totally in Germany is Metabo. Even Bosch of which I've sworn by, (which I now swear at) is now made in China. But there are still excellent products on the market but then be prepared to pay a lot for them. Never ever buy cheap hand tools. Most of what I have in my workshop cost me an arm and a leg. Marples wood chisels, Record 'G' clamps and bench vises, Stanley tape measures and planers, to name a few. But they will be used by my grand-children long after I've turned to compost. Buy the best you can afford. Even if it means having to wait a little longer to save up. I'm not saying you didn't go for the 'best', by the way. My point is that you may have got one of the '95' and that is just unfortunate.

Diamond Member
    Thanks
    I agree i must have got one of the 5 % dud units, my concern however is that i have spent a lot of money on this brand and cant say that i am impressed, 2 out of the 3 routers i purchased of this brand had to be returned due to some fault found when i took it out the box, for example the "1 hand bit changing operation" of the one router doesnt work and still doesnt work even after returning to the distributor, their response to the problem, if the bit is tight you have to use both spanners...mmm, the other problem was the machine had to go back to the worshop to tighten nuts and bolts, which apparently come loose during "transportation".

The drilling machine chuck works loose after a couple of holes and the bit falls out, no matter how tight you make it, i was told it is a "safety feature" funny i have never had this problem with my 14.4 volt nor my 22 volt hilti cordless drilling machines. This brand is the only one which doesnt have a battery indicator on their lithium batteries.

For the record these products are not DIY, they are industrial rated in other words designed to run a full 8/9 hours day continuosly.

The only reason i havent already moved over to festool product is because one of my suppliers indicated that if your festool product does go faulty or requires replacement parts due to wear and tear, you wait for spares, so it looks like a no win situation.

Thanks
    OK so let's see; Green is usually Metabo or Bosch. Blue is usually AEG or Bosch Industrial. Orange/black is normally deWalt. Ryobi is Blue/black. Hitachi (I think) is blue.
    Metabo: highly unlikely to be anything but perfect. deWalt, AEG and Hitachi likewise. So it's either Ryobi or Bosch. My moneys' on Bosch. Now made in China. Junk.(you mentioned the colour in your first posting) So don't buy it again. By the way, no powertools were harmed in the making of this assumption........

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    So which one is the son of a b!#ch that we should avoid? Who gives such poor service?
    Excellence is not a skill; its an attitude...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast