Thread: Cell phone insurance

Thanks

Cell phone insurance

Hi everyone

We tried to insure 2 Blackberry Curves 8520 purchased from MTN. The obvious choice to us was to insure it thru MTN Insurance.

MTN Insurance sent us a letter stating that they cannot insure the handset, as it was too high risk. I am not sure if this has to do with a previous claim, or if they just no longer insure those models.

I feel that when we purchased the phones, MTN should have informed us that they either a) won't insure if it is a replacement phone, OR b)that they don't insure those models at all.

I want to take the matter further with MTN, but thought I would first find out if I am even right being upset about this treatment from MTN, or if this is standard practice

Thanks
    Send me details of the phones - makes, models, and IMEI Numbers, and I will send you stand-alone cellphone quote.

And terms will be cheaper than MTN would charge.

Silver Member
    Thanks
    Hi Phil, as a matter of interest can u quote to cover 3 X lap top computers against accidental damage eg. coffee spillage,stepping over it (yes,it has happened resulting in broken screen ). Values are 2X R5,000 and 1 X R4,000. Thanks in advance.

will also look at at your cell quotes. My daughter is notorious for losing her expensive phones. last one lost at the China Mall in Durban a month ago. Just disappeared & she can't understand it.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    My house and car insurance cover my more expensive phones. My prepaid “work phone” I got insured at the store I got it from never had a problem. I am using a Blackberry 9320 got it at Edgars. Paying it off on my account with them and it is also insured with them. In my opinion it is the best place to finance a mobile if you don’t want contract.

You can ask them to give you a written statement why MTN don't want to insure it and then ask them why you where not told before the time. Why not go to the consumer council or give them a call see if you have a case or not? It is worth a try...
    peace is a state of mind
    Disclaimer: everything written by me can be considered as fictional.

Thanks
    Thank you Phil

We actually ended up adding it to our Sanlam policy

But out of interest, could you quote me for:
    1 Blackberry 9320 (I hope that's the right model number)
    1 Nokia Lumia 610 white
    1 Galaxy Tab 10.1

Thank you so much

Silver Member
    Thanks
    I asked Phil (a few posts above) for idea of quotes on accidental damage to lap tops. Yesterday i asked my broker the same. Surprise surprise!!. I'm actually covered if the damage occurred at the insured premises which it id. Somebody stepped onto a laptop negligently left on the side of the bed cracking the LCD screen. Had it repaired at a cost of R1800 & now i discover that my insurance will entertain the claim .

with respect to the cell phone they will cover, approximate cost of R68 pm for a R5,000 phone. I would insist that my daughter cover the next phone she buys. No need to cover my cheapie couple hundred rand Nokia!!

Silver Member
    Thanks
    Put everything on one cover, that's always the cheapest, you also have the choice of accidental damage. Santam is a very good company and they pay claims. See what Phil can offer you as well you have nothing to lose
    ---There is no traffic at the extra mile---

Silver Member
    Thanks
    Have it on one cover, Mr & Mrs.......car, furniture etc. Have had this broker for some +30 years now . However he does were 2 caps now, meaning & am not sure how this works,but he underwrites AND processes the claims?? Any body have a similar experience?