Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Scammed!

Thanks
    What a day it has been!

Mark Lyle phoned Margaret to confirm the delivery time and venue, and it was agreed that he would hire a bakkie to collect the stock at Margaret's warehouse at 3.30pm.

Margaret then contacted the detective, who said he and his men would wait for us and the scamsters outside the warehouse gates, in plain clothes and at a discrete distance away, at 3pm.

Margaret and I then drove to the warehouse and, as arranged with Mark, waited outside the gates for the hired bakkie. It was reassuring to see the two cars parked on either side of us, each about a block away.

Mark kept in touch with us, letting us know when the bakkie would arrive as well as its description, which we promptly relayed to the detectives.

Our hearts started pounding as we saw the bakkie approach us, with two black guys in it, and we opened the gate with the remote and drove in, letting the bakkie to follow us in.

We parked and Margaret opened the warehouse door and they started loading the bakkie. In the meantime, I reopened the gates with the remote and the two unmarked cop cars swooped in.

Three detectives, one white and two black, approached the two delivery guys and questioned them. The guys acted dumb and claimed that they were simply hired by Mark to pick up stock for him. The detectives told them that, unless they led us to Mark, their bakkie would be impounded and they would be arrested on the spot.

They said they would cooperate, so one of them was told to get in one of the police cars, while the other was told to drive the bakkie to Mark. Both their cell phones were confiscated.

Margaret and I were told to go home and that we would be contacted when they had some news for us.

We had hardly got home, when the senior detective phoned us to please meet him at the police station.

We arrived there, and saw the bakkie parked there, occupied by one of the detectives. When we walked into the charge office we saw the two bakkie guys in cuffs, together with a third guy. Then we were called to the other side of the police station to find the other two detectives and three cars, with constables guarding them. We saw a fourth guy in cuffs in one of the cars.

The detectives explained that they had been led to a shop in town, where they arrested the two other guys and found all 50 boxes of paper, which was now filling up the three cars in front of us!

Mark Lyle was nowhere to be found.

The detectives then followed us to Margaret's shop, where they helped us carry the boxes into our safe keeping.

So, four crooks are in jail tonight and Margaret has all her stolen goods back.

The detectives will now cross examine the four guys to see if they can nab Mark Lyle.

We are both pleasantly surprised at the efficiency of the detectives and their friendly assistance in getting the stock returned.
    Neville Bailey - Sage Pastel Accounting Consultant
    www.accountingsoftwaresupport.co.za
    neville@accountingsoftwaresupport.co.za
    IronTree Online Solutions

"Give every person more in use value than you take from them in cash value."
    WALLACE WATTLES (1860-1911)

2. Thank given for this post:

Blurock (06-Jan-13), Dave A (03-Jan-13), Mike C (03-Jan-13), wynn (03-Jan-13)

Thanks
    Well done! Kudo's to the police. It is so good to hear a success story for a change. Thanks for keeping us posted Neville.
    No act of kindness, no matter how small, is ever wasted. - Aesop "The Lion and the Mouse"

Diamond Member
    Thanks
    Excellent.

Thanks
    Neville that is a great story to start the new year - really super to get positive news, especially catching a scammer!

Thanks
    Thanked 2,676 Times in 2,258 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Good stuff!

Thanks
    Glad Margaret got her stock back, at least she's not out of pocket now. I only hope the elusive Mr Lyle is found and arrested.

Thanks
    Neville I have been following this thread, well done with catching the crooks. With PDFs I always look at the properties and you can see which programme produced it. The one you sent was produced in Word. 80gsm white bond is the biggest selling paper in SA so I was surprised at the prices when it would be cheaper at Makro. My paper rep just laughs when I say I can get it cheaper at Makro, with no terms and no delivery it is not worth it for me.
    I remember when I started when some shops where selling flyers for the cost of my paper and my rep said that is paper from the back of the truck, I was more naive then.
    Only stress when you can change the outcome!

Diamond Member
    Thanks
    It great to hear stories end this way, and the fact that she got all her stuff back makes it even better, well done to the detectives, personally i have no faith in the police, but it is good to hear there are still some good ones left.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Definitely a better ending than it could have been. I'm glad that the police were efficient and that Margaret got her goods back, Neville.

Just with regards to the PDF - the Capitec logo is slightly pixelated. I'm very wary with proof of payment to begin with, but if it has a pixelated logo or any other trait that seems a little dodgy, it's best to wait for funds to clear in your account first.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Wow! Good news Neville. Shows what can be done if the police do their job.

Hats off to the officers involved!
    Excellence is not a skill; its an attitude...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast