Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Prepaid contracts

Diamond Member
    Thanks

Prepaid contracts

I was looking at Marks webiste, and found something interesting, which sounds like it would suit me, becuase i dont want a 24 month contract, i would rather pay a fee upfront and get the phone and airtime included.

A company called Bfore offers an upfront payment lets say R6000, you get a phone and airtime over a 24 month period.

Anyone tried these packages?

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    I actually bought myself the Galaxy Note 2 through BFore.

Happy to answer any questions you may have. You get exactly what you would get if you went to MTN and took out a Top Up contract with them, including phone and monthly airtime - the only difference is that you pay upfront with BFore - there are no monthly fees. If you run out of airtime, you simply buy some Top Up airtime and you're sorted.

Phones are delivered directly by MTN, warranty is with MTN, etc. Nice thing about BFore is they buy through MTN Corporate (not the retail channel) so they have access to some pretty sweet deals.

If you already have a phone, they also sell the airtime packages by themselves. So 24 months worth of airtime for one upfront price, which is usually pretty heavily discounted.

You also don't have to go into a store to RICA the SIM card - email your docs to BFore and they'll have it done for you through MTN Corporate.

The only drawback is that if you are already with MTN, they cannot port your current number. You can port from the other networks, but not from MTN. Just something to consider. I don't actually use my SIM that came with the phone (R50 p/m) because I already have a TopUp 200 sim that I use.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Is MTN not the most expensive of the cell phone companies?
    Excellence is not a skill; its an attitude...

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Blurock View Post
    Is MTN not the most expensive of the cell phone companies?
    It really depends what you're doing with your phone. I'd say it's comparable to Vodacom. Cell C/Virgin are the cheaper ones.

The in-bundle rates for MTN really aren't half bad.

Diamond Member
    Thanks
    I have been with MTN since year dot, tried the virgin mobile contract, bad idea, went back to MTN within 3 months.

Worked all over SA and had the least coverage issues, i remember back in the day when i was building and installing pump staion controls, I had the least issues with coverage, compared to others using other networks. The customer service backup is absolutely crap, but arent all cellphone customer services kak.

What i am looking for is a phone,
    with a reasonable prepaid per minute rate, dont mind paying a 24 month upfront payment, but would prefer a 12 month max.
    which can be topped up if and when required, via the phone,
    with a good camera, seeing that my old camera packed up,
    data bundle which will not expire my number if i dont make a 1 minute phone call within 3 months,
    fast internet to recieve and sent emails, banking so i can tranfer money when making purchases for big amounts which exceed my credit card limit, pay wages etc,
    xl which can be converted to pdf for my invoicing, so that i can do the invoice and send it as soon as i am finished on site,
    the next best thing would be to have a way of making the customer pay me without using a credit card machine, much like direct eft, phone to phone,
    program to take pics of a wall for example then add plug points light points, DB, etc in the location as the customer would require and be able to show them what it would look like,
    7 " screen would be big enough to show customers pictures of previous projects etc, do my invoicing, view emails and pics sent to me.
    battery life of at least 2 days,
    a fast processor, this is one of the biggest problem i have with my netbook perfect for meetings, but once you start walking around it just becomes a mission and way too slow, even though i have a top of the range netbook, my new laptop in my office just makes all the other devices seem like they fell off the ark.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    I am busy doing a survey of charges. So far Vodacom pre-paid is advertised at
    R1.40pm on all day SMS 50c. Per second billing = R1.70pm. Calls to other networks R1.80.

Top up 49 &75 = V2V R1.99 peak/1.08 off peak SMS 80c/35c Other networks R2.65/R1.25
    Top up 99 = R2.60/R2.60 !!!
    Other networks R2.89/2.89 and this package is advertised as Vodacom for Less!!!!

Top up 135 = V2V R1.65/97c Other R2.60/R1.05
    Top up 200 = V2V R1.99/R1.08 Other R 2.65/R1.25

I think my original idea of canning the cell phone and reverting back to landline and ADSL is starting to make more sense. A 3g card can keep me connected while travelling.

Thanks
    Cell C - 99c per minute - that's it....

BOVER Technologies
    - computer sales and TeamViewer support
    Elmine Botha Freelance Photographer - Photographer/ Videographer

Silver Member
    Thanks
    i have been with MTN as far back as i can remember. I've recently acquired a cheap Nokia phone, got a Cell C starter pack and top this as i require through my bank account via internet. Cost--a very low 99 cents per minute per second billing, peak or off peak. This is the way to go

I also make overseas call from this phone, costs the same as local cell costs (special at the moment 87 cents)

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by chrismine View Post
    Cell C - 99c per minute - that's it....
    Telkom charges 49c/min - that's better. Also free calls, yes 0c/min over weekends and public holidays.

Do I really need a cell phone or is it just a status symbol?

Thanks
    Telkom line is not portable, for that privilege you need a cell phone....
    Another thing to think about is that it makes one more effective as one can respond quicker when you are on the road. It may even save you petrol as you don't need to drive to your premises to check for messages....
    Cell makes things easier and as such carries a cost, I call it "geriefskoste" in Afrikaans, could not find an English term....
    It is never as easy as it looks...

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF300TG using Tapatalk 2

BOVER Technologies
    - computer sales and TeamViewer support
    Elmine Botha Freelance Photographer - Photographer/ Videographer

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast