Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Hirsch's

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Diamond Member
    Thanks

Hirsch's

Let me start with a link... http://www.hirschs.co.za/

I have been dealing with this company for many years, as a bussinessman and in a personal capacity buying appliances.

when i started my bussiness, i had to do appliance repairs to generate turnover, so i use to go to Hirsch's in New Germany, it was a small shop with everything including good service, Allan Hirsch was always around making sure things ran smoothly, 23 years later i noticed he is still around visible at the shows, offering advice and just making sure everything is going according to plan.

In the old days, they didnt carry everything, but had stock of most, like switches for the old defy washing machine, stove switches and simistat switches, and what they didnt have would be available for collection within a day or 2.

My wife mentioned that she wanted a new dishwasher, washing machine and convection microwave, she mentioned she was shopping around, and the name Hirsch was mentioned, my first reaction was that maybe they are getting tooo big which would result in higher prices.

So i left it up to her, as she is a good negotiator when it comes to getting the best deal, be it interest rates on hp for a vehicle or buying a kettle.

To my surprise, all the appliances where purchased from Hirsch's at the best price and because i had to go in for a small op yesterday, i couldnt collect the appliances, so she got them delivered at a reasonable price,in fact cheaper than it would have cost me to collect, with 1 labourer and petrol. The delivery team unpacked the appliances for inspection and positioned them once we were satisfied.

We were given a fridge as a present a year or so back, it took 6 weeks for the other company to deliver.

Well done to Alan Hirsch, i must say i have watched your company grow and i am very impressed with what you have achieved. If anyone plans on starting a company and building into an empire, getting tips from this man would be a good foundation.

The most impressive things i noted was that on the front page is the email address and contact number for the owner himself Alan. This is very rare, normally as a company grows you never get to speak to the boss directly as they are always tooo busy, out playing golf or just blowing the company money in general and the PA is an expert at making up good excuses as to why he cannot sort out your problem.
    Last edited by ians; 15-Dec-12 at 12:14 PM.

2. Thank given for this post:

Blurock (15-Dec-12), Citizen X (18-Dec-12), Dave A (16-Dec-12), Didditmiself (15-Dec-12)

Thanks
    Thanks for that ian. I've never had dealings with Hirsch's. It is nice to know that there is still a company that gives good old fashioned service and competitive prices as well. Next time my wife I need something for (the house or whatever), we'll look at visiting them.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,676 Times in 2,257 Posts
    Blog Entries
    There is little doubt Alan and Margaret Hirsch are great examples of how to do it right.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave A View Post
    There is little doubt Alan and Margaret Hirsch are great examples of how to do it right.
    Agreed, good example of owner involvement and commitment. I believe that daughter Lucy is starting to make a name for herself too.
    Excellence is not a skill; its an attitude...

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Clearly quality is not what it used to be and no-one cares. When we got married we bought a 2nd hand Frigidaire from a friend. Years later he bought it back from us (now painted a bright orange) and still had it 20 years later.

Our own experience with a Defy fridge was good (also about 20 years) and when we decided to replace it, it was because we could no longer get door seals or other spares such as shelves etc. I was told by a reputable dealer that the average life span of a fridge is now 3-5 years and that they do not keep spares for longer than that.

Sadly, the upgrade to a new Defy was actually a downgrade as the new fridge was built with much lower quality materials and appeared to be flimsy in comparison. The first one was replaced after 6 months and the replacement has been running without any problems for 5 years now. I still want to buy local, but these guys are making it very hard to support them if they don't care about quality.
    Excellence is not a skill; its an attitude...

Silver Member
    Thanks
    Funnily enough, I went and bought a few things there on Sunday (trying to avoid game and Makro) and although impressed with the shop - was not impressed with the service. I don't normally send emails, bit did this time.

So far, no answer.

Thanks
    What happened?

Diamond Member
    Thanks
    Alan hirsch has his email address on the front page of his website, i would let him know.

Diamond Member
    Thanks
    I agree, that the store is not responsible , however, it is a little disappointing when you have to repack and make the journey back to the store, for a silly thing like a scratch, considering we paid R250 for delivery, the first time.

Nothing to do with hirschs...

I purchase a triton router, the 2400 watt unit, best under table router i have bought to date, when it comes to ease of use, changing router bits etc, was over the moon with the product, i used it 6 times and the whole machine dropped and would not wind back up again, I had followed instructions and taken the spring out as indicated, so i took it back to builder express where i purchased it from, no problem they replaced the unit, but before i took it, i requested they remove it from the box so that i could check the machine, before i left the store, tried to fit a router bit, but the pin wouldnt hold the shaft, so we had to go thru the boxes until we found one which was in working condition, this is sad considering the stuff comes all the way from down under. You would think a little quality control before it left the factory. If you have ever packed fruit, you would have noticed that all export product of of the best quality, and the stuff which stays in SA is the left overs, maybe that how all the companies think, send the junk to africa or dont worry about quality control in africa, people will just accept any kak sold to them.

Silver Member
    Thanks
    Still no reply - cannot see alan's email address, am I just being thick?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Did you like this article? Share it with your favourite social network.

Did you like this article? Share it with your favourite social network.