So two weeks ago, a lady from JHB bought my old laptop, as I had upgraded.

The intention was that her brother was going to take it to her from his fiance in Durban in 2 weeks time (now) while he was down here.

After I received payment, I did a software reset of the laptop and delivered it to the fiance. I booted the 100% working laptop up in front of her, asked her if there was anything she wanted to check, which there wasn't, and assumed it to be a done deal.

Yesterday, I get a phone call from the brother, telling me the laptop isn't switching on. This is apparently the first time it's been switched on since I delivered it. They apparently took it to Incredible Connection and were told it was a motherboard failure.

The lady I sold it to phones today to say she wants either her money back or me to replace the motherboard.

To me, that seems like a bunch of bull****. Why should the liability be mine, when what I delivered was working 100% and accepted by an "agent" of the buyer? How do I know the laptop wasn't dropped, subjected to adverse conditions, etc in the 2 weeks after delivery?

Now my question is: Do I have any liability in terms of this transaction, legally speaking?

As far as I'm concerned, that's the risk you take when buying second hand goods. I'm ready to tell her to get lost, because I don't feel like I should accept any responsibility whatsoever for events after the transaction.

Then again, dependent on her actions going forward, I may offer a R500 contribution towards a new motherboard as a token of goodwill. Right now, I'm in no way inclined to do that, though.

I look forward to your opinions on this. Great way to ruin my weekend.