Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Writing COC

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Thanks

Writing COC

Can you write a COC if you are just a instillation electrician or do i have to be a registered electrical contractor?

Silver Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Yuri View Post
    Can you write a COC if you are just a instillation electrician or do i have to be a registered electrical contractor?
    Good day Yuri
    You need to be a registered electrical contractor
    The electrical regulations states
    9. (1) No person other than a registered person may issue a certificate of compliance.
    To make a mistake is human, to learn from that mistake is knowledge and knowledge is strength.

Diamond Member
    Thanks
    You can register as a single phase tester, installation electrician or a master electrician, depending on you level of qualification and experience, there are threads on the forum which cover this information. You dont have to be a registered "electrical contractor" to be a registered person, however if you want to sign over COCs you would need to be employed by a registered electrical company or own a company which is registered with the ECB and others.

4. Thanks given for this post:

Yuri (31-Oct-12)

Silver Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ians View Post
    You can register as a single phase tester, installation electrician or a master electrician, depending on you level of qualification and experience, there are threads on the forum which cover this information. You dont have to be a registered "electrical contractor" to be a registered person, however if you want to sign over COCs you would need to be employed by a registered electrical company or own a company which is registered with the ECB and others.
    Thanks for clearing that up.
    What is the difference between a registered person and a registered electrical contractor
    Thanks
    To make a mistake is human, to learn from that mistake is knowledge and knowledge is strength.

Thanks
    I am a registered installation electrician
    My one friend is doing telecommunications work for vodacom and he is struggling to get COC ( vadacom only allow working on there systems at 22:00 ) so he asked me to help
    I work in a factory. Do you think i can let him register his company as a electrical contractor company and put me up as the regestered person?

Thanks
    Thanked 2,676 Times in 2,257 Posts
    Blog Entries
    however if you want to sign over COCs you would need to be employed by a registered electrical company or own a company which is registered with the ECB and others.
    That'll be the Department of Labour from now on, although the ECB and some AIA's seem to offer 3rd party assistance.

Quote Originally Posted by Leecatt View Post
    What is the difference between a registered person and a registered electrical contractor.
    The registered electrical contractor is the legal entity that contracts with clients - and can be a juristic person (as in my case where the company contracts with the client).

The registered person is the individual registered as the single phase tester, installation electrician or master electrician of the electrical contractor. Every registered electrical contractor must have at least one registered person (either as an employee or as a "working employer"), and where there are more than one registered persons in the employ of the contractor, one must be designated as the primary registered person.

Quote Originally Posted by Yuri View Post
    I am a registered installation electrician
    My one friend is doing telecommunications work for vodacom and he is struggling to get COC ( vadacom only allow working on there systems at 22:00 ) so he asked me to help
    I work in a factory. Do you think i can let him register his company as a electrical contractor company and put me up as the regestered person?
    This would be contrary to Clause 35(2) of the collective agreement which is as follows:

No employee whilst in the employ of an employer shall solicit, undertake or perform any work other than on behalf of his own employer in the Electrical Industry, whether for remuneration or not, during or outside of the ordinary hours of work or working days prescribed in clause 7 of this Agreement, save that such employee may carry out work on his own premises outside of normal working hours.

PJ's may be hard to trace, but becoming the registered person for a contractor would be very traceable.

8. Thanks given for this post:

Yuri (31-Oct-12)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave A View Post
    That'll be the Department of Labour from now on, although the ECB and some AIA's seem to offer 3rd party assistance.

The registered electrical contractor is the legal entity that contracts with clients - and can be a juristic person (as in my case where the company contracts with the client).

The registered person is the individual registered as the single phase tester, installation electrician or master electrician of the electrical contractor. Every registered electrical contractor must have at least one registered person (either as an employee or as a "working employer"), and where there are more than one registered persons in the employ of the contractor, one must be designated as the primary registered person.

This would be contrary to Clause 35(2) of the collective agreement which is as follows:

No employee whilst in the employ of an employer shall solicit, undertake or perform any work other than on behalf of his own employer in the Electrical Industry, whether for remuneration or not, during or outside of the ordinary hours of work or working days prescribed in clause 7 of this Agreement, save that such employee may carry out work on his own premises outside of normal working hours.

PJ's may be hard to trace, but becoming the registered person for a contractor would be very traceable.
    I have dun my specialized instolation rules and n6...
    All i need is my 1 year hazardous location experience ( there are ex locations in the factory ) and 2 years experiance of installation electrician so thy will track me easy

Diamond Member
    Thanks
    I agree with you 100%, if only people where more responsible or the system worked more efficiently and there were steps taken against people who don't comply, blah, blah let me go wind up my violin, the same tune is playing and nobody listening. This tune is like you not texting while driving, but there is nothing you can do about it, even though it is against the law, driving in the orange line, etc, etc. You cant beat them join them, maybe one day they will also scrap emergency lanes and the red carpet (bus lane), COCs and become more like the 3rd world country we live in.

I was out on a farm yesterday, my mate just purchased, the COC is not valid, the electrical installation is as illegal as can be, for example the outdoor weather proof DB doesn't even have a cover over the breakers, the list is 5 pages long, what is going to be done about it, NOTHING, why because as most customers say, just fix it and make it right, he couldn't be bothered to pay for the investigation, pay for the repairs then have to try claim the money back, it is cheaper and less hassle just fixing it himself.

Diamond Member
    Thanks
    The clause means nothing to a clerk sitting in a office receiving COCs for transfers, so long as it is yellow and has X amount of pages they don't know the difference.

The electrical contractor is aware of the clauses and regulations (well some of them) but once handed to the customer, who knows what the customer might use it for, just tooo many loop holes in the system.

Silver Member
    Thanks
    The clause means nothing to a clerk sitting in a office receiving COCs for transfers, so long as it is yellow and has X amount of pages they don't know the difference.

The electrical contractor is aware of the clauses and regulations (well some of them) but once handed to the customer, who knows what the customer might use it for, just tooo many loop holes in the system.
    Hi Ians,
    I hear what you are saying.

However, the electrician cannot issue an electrical certificate for one plug alone, without satisfying himself that the original electrical installation is either reasonably safe or complies with the SANS 10142-1:2009 and in both cases, is subsequently certified.
    The COC has provision for the electrician to enter the unique number of the original certificate onto the additional certificate.

What most electricians do not understand is that when their customer asks them to install an additional point to an existing installation, they should inform the customer that an inspection has to be done on the original electrical installation to ascertain its compliance. If there is no original certificate then one has to be issued for the entire installation including the new point.

Its all there in the regulations and once the responsible electrician implements the regulations, it then it wont matter what the clerk does.

I hope this makes it a little clearer.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast