Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: 220v Downlight DIY Installation

Thanks
    Thanked 2,676 Times in 2,258 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by msmoorad View Post
    yes, maybe i'll tell them to just give me the plumbing side of it
    At least secure it first and get a good track record down with the client. That way if you add anything to your business, you've already got a lot of credibility to help land the new business, or help some towards making sure a lapse in the one division isn't fatal to all the business. (In a nutshell, that's pretty much how I manage this particular risk).

My only other tip is if you do add another line one day, go all out to do it properly. Don't even try anything half-baked. Unfortunately the world tends to score more heavily on our weaknesses than our strengths, and a weak divsion can really drag down a strong one.

2. Thanks given for this post:

msmoorad (21-Jan-13)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Leecatt View Post
    much the same way as a doctor, an architect, a lawyer or any other professional person does, we have a skill and we sell it, not rocket science. .
    While agreeing to mostly all you said I take exception to this statement. I wrote off over R10 000 due to me by a lawyer since December 2011. His wife is an Estate Agent. They were supposedly "friends". The money was supposed to come from a deceased estate, not even their own pockets. I have given up sending accounts. Not worth the aggravation. I am also trying to get money back from a dentist who ripped a friend off by performing a procedure without authorisation. She went there for a quote and ended up having to pay nearly R4000.

As Andy stated, I too suspect ulterior motives for this posting which is why I never bothered to reply but, as I am commenting now I might as well add that I have a list of clients as long as my arm who only pay for my materials and of course a few cups of coffee. The only people I overcharge are the ones who I know have done it to someone I know. At least my clients know that the work is done correctly.

Silver Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparks View Post
    While agreeing to mostly all you said I take exception to this statement. I wrote off over R10 000 due to me by a lawyer since December 2011. His wife is an Estate Agent. They were supposedly "friends". The money was supposed to come from a deceased estate, not even their own pockets. I have given up sending accounts. Not worth the aggravation. I am also trying to get money back from a dentist who ripped a friend off by performing a procedure without authorisation. She went there for a quote and ended up having to pay nearly R4000.
    Hi Sparks, whilst acknowledging your bad luck I have to say that anyone who trusts a lawyer, or even worse an Estate agent, deserves all they get
    This reminds me of a mate who bought a house up on Primrose Hill with a view overlooking the Bedforview City and all the way to Pretoria, very nice. However one snag was that there were Eskom power lines almost above his house and the veld in front posed a security risk.
    "No problem" said the Estate Agent, " the power lines are coming down and the cables are getting buried in the mountain top (solid quartz all over) and the veld is being re zoned for a game park and is getting stocked with all sorts of wild animals". Well 25 years on and guess what...? One very big washing line and plenty of midnight shoppers.
    Have a great day guys.
    To make a mistake is human, to learn from that mistake is knowledge and knowledge is strength.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345