OK all you bright sparks.
I have browsed the thread here :
and very informative, but also total information overload ( pun intended ) !!
I have had to replace a bedroom wall spotlight and opted for the LED version. Very impressed with the 3W output, so am thinking it is time to do the rest of the house.
Here's my plan :
Install 3 or 4 x 220V 3W LED downlights in all rooms. This will suffice for 95% of the time lighting is required in each room, and the central ceiling fan light can be used for the other 5% of the time when more lighting is actually required.
To have 1 downlight in each room connected in line to my backup UPS ( so 8 lights in total on 1 line ), so in the event of a power failure, I have 1 LED workable in each room.
I am about to re-roof the entire house ( incl. battons and sisalation insulation ) so it is probably an ideal time to do this project.
My thinking is to get it all installed and wired up, then get a qualified competent and experienced electrician to check it all, connect to the main board, and issue a COC.
So here's my questions : ( ps ... I want to do this the right and safest way - cheap and nasty to save is not for me - my kids and wife are worth so much more, and I don't want my house burning down ).
1. is there a specific rating that I need for the fittings ? Bearing in mind that I plan to use LEDs but there would be a possibility that someone in the future could use 50W bulbs.
2. what type of wiring to use ? heat resistant / thickness / etc.
3. connection boxes ? Do I run all fittings for 1 room to a common junction box, and then from there a main line to the lights breaker at the DB ? Which wires need to be in pvc conduit ? Better to mount the junction box on the side of a wooden truss, or loose on the ceiling board ?
4. Anything else I should know before I start this ? ( yes, i know I should know what I am doing, and that's why I ain't connecting this lot to power until it has been checked over. My belief is that with the advice and knowledge learned here, I can do just as good a job as the ( also unqualified ) electricians helper, and save a chunk on labour charges for the bits that expertise really aren't needed ).