Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Hybrid Load Switch

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Hybrid Load Switch

Basically we were forced to install f*cking device and we have NO HOT WATER!!!! I am so f*cking tired of having to battle with arrogant personnel over the f*cking phone that is clearly unable to do there f*cking job!

Basically on black and white they sate
    geyser will be switched off between 18:00 and 20:00
    After the installation my geyser is yet to switch on and I cannot report the f*cking fault because the numbers provided are USELESS as in BULL$HIT!

So my Question is: Is it legal for me to get a qualified electrician out to connected my geyser up to one of the plugs "electrical outlets" in the house? Thus I will not touch there little box in any way and or form.

peace is a state of mind
    Disclaimer: everything written by me can be considered as fictional.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    If you remove the wires from the geyser, and use an extension lead with a 3 PIN plug on the end, and plug it into a wall plug, then it is not a permanent installation
    Victor - Knowledge is a blessing or a curse, your current circumstances make you decide!
    Solar pumping, Solar Geyser & Solar Security lighting solutions - www.microsolve.co.za

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Justloadit View Post
    If you remove the wires from the geyser, and use an extension lead with a 3 PIN plug on the end, and plug it into a wall plug, then it is not a permanent installation
    Thank you!!!

It is as good as done....
    peace is a state of mind

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by tec0 View Post
    Thank you!!!

It is as good as done....
    I hope not.

I'm guessing by the language you're not in the mood for bad news but unfortunately it's all I have. If it's a 4kW geyser then it will overload the socket and the plug top. So to clarify, no, you (or a qualified electrician) can't run your geyser on an extension or trailing lead to a 16Amp wall socket if it's a 4kW element.

Secondly, never run any appliance from two separate supply circuits, apart from being illegal and also likely to cause an enormous bang if your house is a three phase installation, this is also the kind of thing that kills electricians who work on the thing and aren't as on the ball as they ought to be.

Silver Member
    Thanks
    If it overloads the circuit and causes a fire then your insurance company will not honour the claim.

The geyser is a fixed appliance:
    fixed appliance
    appliance that is fastened or otherwise secured at a specific location, and
    that would require the use of tools to be moved to another location
    To make a mistake is human, to learn from that mistake is knowledge and knowledge is strength.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Yea sorry for the bad language but how would you feel if someone did a bad installation in your home and you have to take cold showers? As for the problem at hand… I don’t know how to solve this actually…

It is a 3kw element, and phoning those numbers again I realised it is a big joke. So basically the solution is cold water… (if my understanding is correct then not even a qualified electrician can touch the damn thing) I am having a look at gas systems “gas water heaters” today see what the total cost will be. Something tells me the cost is going to be massive. But I will just send the bill to the municipality since the device in question is there responsibility.

If they don't want to pay I will just take it one step at a time. What else can I do?

Nothing at all....
    peace is a state of mind

Thanks
    Can you attach a photo of the device they've fitted and its associated wiring and connections?

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Hi Andy, I will see about opening the DB-box, it s a very old unit and half of the switches “including the main trip switch is lose so it is actually a very scary thing to do. It was always lose from the very first day we moved in.

The little white box has a “tamper seal” on it so opening that up may get me into trouble.

The gas system is out of the question the land lord doesn’t want one installed so I will tolerate the situation until such time where I can move house and or find someone to report the fault too. Regardless I will save a lot of money this month so there is an upside…

But when they do come to your home and install this piece of $hit make sure it's working...
    peace is a state of mind

Thanks
    man, this isn't a nice situation to be in. But, I'm curious, can't you just have that unit removed completely? I don't have such a unit in my house and simply switch the geyser off at the BD during the day.
    Get superfast South African Hosting at WebHostingZone

10. Thanks given for this post:

tec0 (24-Oct-12)

Diamond Member
    Thanks
    The buety about a tamper seal there is a thing called a line tap. I think i understand where you are coming from, i also have the joy of dealing with the supply authority on occassion, in fact i got to point where i no longer offer the service of sorting out things with e thick weni for my customer, i let them find out why sometimes, things happen like they do, and it is not me who is the shocking service.

It is faster to drive to Durban and go to customer services than it is to phone them, then when you get there just dont show any form of aggression or suggest they are as stupid as they behave, they will leave you standing at the counter while they go have a chat behing the screens, while you stand like a fool at the counter. I have noticed they have put up glass screens to prevent customer from climbing over the counter and throttling them out of pure frustration.

I am with you on this one teco, personally i would have bypassed the thing the day after they installed. You got ask yourself why is it that us suckers are always the ones who have to suffer for other peoples incompetancies. Why the goverment doesnt control the price of energy efficient equipment, instead we are get our backside bust wide open with the ridiculous prices of energy efficient stuff, so why buy the stuff, then eskom offer a rebate, for stuff like solar geysers etc, why dont they just reduce the price of the geysers so we can all install them, why because chances are someone is getting a nice little slice of the cake.

Led lamps R75, what a rip off

50 watt led floodlight R1200, what a rip off.

solar geyser R15000, what a rip off.

And they wonder why people steal the electricity.

12. Thanks given for this post:

tec0 (24-Oct-12)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast