Okay, ‘Nobody listen to techno, now lets go!”
Business owners and managers are often marginalised alternatively given a place in the footnotes academically speaking. To put it bluntly, the doctors and physicist THINK that they are the champions of academia. This is simply not true at all! I’ll prove it to you!
To answer a simple question: Is Business management science?
I’ll answer it for you!
1. There are certain criteria that must be complied with before any field can be classified as a science.
2. A clearly distinguishable feature of any science is simply that it must have a clearly defined study, or center or nucleus. Business management does indeed comply! Your business is the center of this study.
3. Another feature of a science is simply that it must be independent of other sciences. Since your business has human beings in it’s employ who wish to attain certain personal and group goals. In particular according to Cronje et al(1991:19), the angle from which business management looks at an organisation is indicated by the purpose of the study, which is to examine those things that can guide businesses as effectively as possible to their end, which is primarily to make a profit.
It is this feature which allows business management to qualify as a science, ‘since it is mainly concerned with the ways in which profitability of a business can be maximised, and this is quite distinct from the study of the business organisation by other sciences.’
4. We now consider the actual definition of a science which Cronje et al(1991:20), define rather appropriately, ‘ a uniform, systematised body of knowledge of facts and scientific laws, and the existence of laws and principles that are constantly tested in practice.’
The field or discipline if you will of business management does consist of systemised knowledge i.e. financial accounting, asset management etc;
5. Now here is the only place we fall short, you guys meet 3 of the 4 requirements of a bona fide science, the final, ultimate purpose of a science is to produce a generally accepted theory. Since the environment in which your business exists is constantly changing i.e. technology, protest action, new suppliers etc some doubt that you guys will be able to produce a generally accepted theory. I submit that despite this you eventually will!
 Vide Introduction to Business management. Cronje et al. Southern Book Publishers (PTY)(LTD). 1991. Page 19.
 Supra. Page 19. Para 2. Confer Lucas G.H.G. et al. Die Taak van die Bemarkingsbestuurder, Van Schaik, Pretoria, 1979, Page 11