Thread: Weekly wages vs Monthly w.r.t. tax workings & increase (pro rata)

Thanks

Weekly wages vs Monthly w.r.t. tax workings & increase (pro rata)

Hello,

My husband is employed thru a labour broker for the past 3 years. He has a monthly contract with them. In September 2012 we queried his net pay-out (salary) as it was R807 less than the prior month. They told us that he was treated as a weekly employee on their payroll and that is why the net amount is different every month. (due to paye & uif deductions that varies). However, they do state on the payslip that his salary is based on 173.333 hours per month... = which is a normal month.
    I would like to know if he can insist that they treat him as a monthly employee? It's difficult to budget monthly because we never know what he will get out. I have done my own calculations and has found that they owe him ytd (ending Sept) R358.00 woth of PAYE.
    He is only one of thousands of "monthly" contract employees that has this issue... They (the labour broker) has agreed to have a meeting with the contractors next week to listen to their queries and to explain the taxes to them. But, we know from past experience, when we had issues w.r.t salaries & leave calculations that they are not interested in changing things, or even want to listen to your complaints....
    What can they do? What would their rights be?

Secondly,
    My husband received an 4.5% (it's not much, but at least something!) increase w.e.f. 1 April 2012. As his last increase was in June 2011, they worked this 4.5% out as a pro-rata amount, i.e. 4.5 x 10 / 12 = 3.75% increase was thus applied from 1 April 2012. Am I correct in saying that he would be entitled to have received the remainder of the .75% from 1 June 2012? (this did not happend... so they owe him "back pay"?)

Thanks.
    always fear when Christel is near....

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Is this a dodgy labour broker? If salary is paid monthly, the payslip and calculations should also be monthly. If he is paid weekly, the UIF etc will differ according to the number of weeks in the month. Have a another look at the employment contract and get legal assistance if you are uncertain.
    Excellence is not a skill; its an attitude...

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Blurock View Post
    Is this a dodgy labour broker? If salary is paid monthly, the payslip and calculations should also be monthly. If he is paid weekly, the UIF etc will differ according to the number of weeks in the month. Have a another look at the employment contract and get legal assistance if you are uncertain.

Thanks Blurock,
    I would say they are a bit "dodgy" but that's just my own opinion out of dealings with them in the past. The person that's dealing with the contractors call herself the "HOD: Admin & Finance", but she does not know a thing about payroll or basic conditions of employement & employee rights. I'm not an expert either, but I try to understand the law and read up about it etc. She also has no inter-personal skills, talk to the contractors with an attitude etc.
    My husband did contact Solidarity, as he is a member, and the guy he spoke to said that he must first listen to what the labour broker says and then my husband must report back to him, he will then ask his own accountant to look at the salary workings and report back... I think this is wasting valuable time, because it's not so much a tax issue as it is actually a classification issue (I would say): i.e. Monthly vs Weekly. Period.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Solidarity is very thorough and obviously does not want to just barge in. They are right. Get all the facts first - and look at your contract.
    Excellence is not a skill; its an attitude...

Thanks
    Thanked 2,676 Times in 2,257 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Was the gross pay figure per the payslip what you expected?

The thought that ran through my mind is there were only 4 weeks (20 weekday working days) in September.

(I was miffed about my September figures and was trying to figure out the problem, until I realised I'd only got 19 days of production given the paid public holiday on top of the way the weekends fell in the month ).

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave A View Post
    Was the gross pay figure per the payslip what you expected?
    Yes, as said previously, he has a set monthly wage. And for the past 7 months (i.e. 2013 financial year) he has not earned any overtime or bonusses.
    Thanks for the feedback... Let's wait for the meeting and then I'll post some feedback again.