If I am heading for a fight with a store, I always like to know my rights before I open my mouth.

So where do I stand here, and what are my options ?

The kettle :

12 June this year we buy a new Russell Hobbs kettle from Checkers Hyper.

Since about a month ago, the handle gets incredibly hot after boiling a (nearly) max load. In fact it is so hot it is not possible to pick up the kettle, until the handle has cooled a few minutes later.

Yesterday, it gives up the ghost completely. Won't switch on. Dead as a doornail.

So tomorrow it's off to Checkers with this. Got the receipt and the original box.

What are my options / rights ?

The aircon :
This past January I had the condenser of the car aircon replaced. (Old one got hit by a stone).
10 months down the line, the aircon does not work anymore - no cold air. Back to the auto-electrician that did the last job and the inspection shows leaks from the condenser ( they have a dye in the system ).
No problem. He gets on the phone to the supplier and gets told that the condenser only has a 3 month warranty.
The Supplier wants the condenser back to send to the factory on Jozi for them to inspect and decide if they will offer a replacement.

It is obvious (and the professional opinion of the installer) from the location of the leaks that it was not caused by the installer, no rust or other damage, etc.

What are my rights that I should be aware of before the supplier / factory try to pull the wool ?