Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: What I would do If I ran SA

Suspended
    Thanks

What I would do If I ran SA

These come to the top of my mind.

1) Eskom would be broken up into two parts. Distribution and Generation.
    2) Distribution would be broken up into 9 parts (each province would get a distribution company in their region)
    3) The amount of charge each distribution company would be fixed at 15% of end user costs ergo if power costs 100 rand the distribution company would add 15 on top of it. The reason for this is so that there is a level field for power producers.
    4**) Power producers would be privatized either by selling 75% or outright stakes to internationals. You could theoretically simply divide them into various companies that have diversified locale and gradually list them on JSE to keep them local and induce investment.
    5) Breaking up Metrorail, All Metro-Rail and local transit authorities should be given to the Cities in which they operate instead of national. Ergo Cape metro should be locally operated/controlled and same in J'burg, Durban, etc... simply to keep costs contained and not nationalized. Like it is in most cities in world from Toronto, Chicago, Ny, Stockholm, Moscow, etc... (all own and operate their metro by the city authority)
    6) Breaking up Transnet and devolving port authority to cities in which they are located is preferable but could privatize as well I guess.
    7) Both Passenger and Freight rail would be combined and split into 3 companies based on direction. Ergo East, West, and Central. With an integrated logistics center to accommodate smoothness of traffic across the system.
    8) ACSA and SAA would be broken up. Airports would be devolved to cities where they are located.
    9) I actually think the best system for SA would be similar to a Canadian system. Tax rates would be cut in half across the board and 50/50 Federal/Province split with provinces being able to charge up the what the Federal Gov't charges. Ergo if Feds charge 20% income/vat/etc tax province can do the same or make it lower.
    10) Yes I would probably scrap BEE or at least have a sunset clause for it.
    11*) Total free speech referendum all of this 'incitement' bs is going to get worse I figure.
    12) A flat tax of 20% on federal level that way everyone feels the gov't must be honest fiduciarialy wise.
    13) Child grants would be cut, I don't get the incentive. Paying people to have kids is absurd. Although we do that here in the U.S. as well. (btw if you spent 12.7 billion this year and it went to 14.7 billion next year (growth of 16%)
    it should double in 4.5 years ergo in 2016.5 or 17.5 it will hit 25.5 billion (or 210 bil rand)
    To put it somewhat differently it will go from 1/8th of the budget to 1/4 of the budget and then 1/2 of the budget every 4.5 years assuming constant growth at current levels.
    http://www.sowetanlive.co.za/news/bu...grants-by-2015
    Spending on social grants will grow from R105 billion in 2012/13, to R122 billion in 2014/15, the 2012 Budget Review shows.
    14) Excise taxes on alcohol would be eliminated. Incentive for wine producers etc... having niche taxes makes gov'ts feel entitles to crank them up because they impact "niche groups"

Monopolies are never good concentrated in a singular monopoly. I would even go as far as letting companies bid for long term leases in ports. Ergo if I was Durban and got the port after they went to cities, I would sell quays to companies like MAERSK to operate them so as not to deal with Bureaucracy and bloating budgets for overpaid workers. To maximize competition for prices through ports and even within ports. Granted some terminals are specific anyways.

*I feel your free speech is going to end up like libel laws in Britain where free speech simply is erased and eradicated by liability and simply speaking in your case it will be killed off by malicious prosecution that labels it a menace to society under some pretext, after that its over basically but this is a business forum so no point debating that.
    **at the very least BEE for energy generating companies would have to be scrapped or the 25% equity kept by the government itself to keep them compliant from outset.

2. Thanks given for this post:

Dave A (26-Sep-12)

Suspended
    Thanks
    Just out of interest -how come you so interested in SA? One would think living in NY you would be more interested in getting your own country right considering the economic problems you have as well as all the mass killings and the need to attack oil rich countries for your personal gain as well as the poverty the US has and the black white discrimination problems as well?

Thanks
    I see you are quoting from the sowetan? The paper you discarded in another thread as having pressure to be politically correct? Anyway, your ideas have merit but you miss a few issues that will negate most of them. Tribalism - the areas or provinces cross tribal lines so there will be infighting to control areas. There is a long list but I struggle to type on my phone., think on corruption ,nepotism, tribalism and all the other 'isms you can think of -they succeeded in destroying a fairly well run country in 14 years .Would your ideal system survive longer?

Suspended
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Kevinb View Post
    Just out of interest -how come you so interested in SA? One would think living in NY you would be more interested in getting your own country right considering the economic problems you have as well as all the mass killings and the need to attack oil rich countries for your personal gain as well as the poverty the US has and the black white discrimination problems as well?
    Kevin I periodically roam around online and find a point of interest and then read up on it. Before I was obsessing about something else. I think it was impact from Kurds leaving and the likelihood of war between Armenia/Azerbaidjan regaining steam and hitting off a much larger regional war. Before that something else.

The U.S. is screwed up beyond repair. (j/k)

Just bored so I roam on various forums sharing my views that's what bored people do...

I think the discrimination you speak of is not as high as you think if you came here the only discrimination in USA is based on how much money you have. Which is totally fine...

Greasemonkey I needed an estimate of spending they had one. You can subtract 10% from it if you want to feel better. Me quoting from one estimate or another does not make much of a difference if the growth is 16% (or close to it). It won't change the timeline much 4.4 years to 4.6 years.

All of these isms you speak off come out when the economy turns down and the people need someone to blame NOW! thus I focused on the budget which is rapidly running out of red ink it seems. Eventually it will help improve all the -isms.
    If the country had Canadian type provincial rule with fiscal semi-independence (no borrowing though) they could withhold funds from fiscal budget (as a last resort to get points across). My feeling yes the country would survive longer and be more efficient/less corrupt.

I don't think the country is destroyed, yet. Its still alive and kicking and I do not see any ethnic group that has compactness and geography on its' side wanting to leave. All I see thus far is fairly quick inflation and some price pressure on people putting a lot of strain on poor people to feed themselves.

Thanks
    I'm not picking a fight with you, you have some salient points. Sowetan is probably one of the most reliable sources you will get.

Diamond Member
    Thanks
    If I ran South Africa I would put a fence around it and market it as the biggest zoo in Africa.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    To fix South Africa is really easy; all you need to do is to find all that money that is missing all that billions can pay for better roads, police training, and proper hospitals. Then you liquidate all the corrupted officials and use that money to train teachers and get public transport going. Lastly I would introduce a TAX system for Taxis.

All the money you make from them you can use to get all those trains going again. Lastly liquidate all those corrupted contractors and use that money to fix up buildings and build a few new buildings so that people can have housing.

Then you use the existing systems to maintain the country...
    peace is a state of mind
    Disclaimer: everything written by me can be considered as fictional.

Diamond Member
    Thanks
    I would close the borders and send all the non-Citizens home. Then I would sterilize every single adult that has already had more than two children. Then I would force every single person to be sterilized after they have had two children.

People must stop breeding like locusts....

The people that don't like these measures will be welcome to go live somewhere else, I'll pay their airfare.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Yes I can see the campaign now [ DROP YOUR BALLS FOR YOUR COUNTRY ]
    peace is a state of mind
    Disclaimer: everything written by me can be considered as fictional.

11. Thanks given for this post:

wynn (25-Sep-12)

Suspended
    Thanks
    The U.S. is screwed up beyond repair. (j/k)

I couldn t agree with you more ............

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Did you like this article? Share it with your favourite social network.

Did you like this article? Share it with your favourite social network.