For the past few months I have noticed a drastic decline in quality computer equipment in the local stores. The most obvious is the GPU market. Now performance graphic cards are a simple must have but lately our local shops are selling crap.

The cards they are selling cannot even be compared to their older counterparts and cannot give high performance yet there cost is very high. The same is also true in the CPU market... there is simply no choice... For an entry level system an “i3” for example you are expected to pay more and yet its performance is
not that much better than some of the older CPU’s. So it is not even a proper upgrade!!!

This brings into question why is the profit margin so low that prices became so high? Then there is the question of quality. The simple truth is that the GPU’s for example are not up to standard. They are no better and sometimes weaker than older “entry models” yet there is no choice? It is this or nothing and I have seen people spending up R7000 for a computer and it is worth nothing.

That said I never thought I would see the day that a R6000 notebook can out preform a desktop system that cost R7000 and up???

Your thoughts?